Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice
218 Posts

·
Registered
'03 CTS..white diamond
25 Posts
137+ on mine and I'm afraid to flush it. It runs well now and not broke, so I ain't messin' with it...Jus sayin...

·
Registered
06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd
1,161 Posts
Epic threads KOT i remember that lol.... only car i ever did a flush with was my first car. that was a 95 mercury sable, and it was at 100k miles but had been sitting for several years (it was my grandmas and she had left it to me) so my dad suggested a flush. it seemed fine beforehand and afterward no issues either... idk if it is ever really necessary. i might try something with my bronco but i honestly would rather just do an oil change, then seafoam, then another oil change in 70 miles or so. but im doing nearly a full engine rebuild on that thing anyway.

...and i'm rambling again, short story of it, dont bother if the car is fine IMHO.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
I say no go on the flush, just doesnt' make sense to loosen up sludge so that it can go traveling through your oil journals and get stuck. regular oil changes is all you need..

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i useto work at a quick lube shop, and all the extra or premium services are pushed for a few reasons, 1 is the owner claims that oil alone doesnt cover the bills for the day(right, i didnt buy into that) the other is they are commission bonus's. i sold a insane amount of engine flushes ...almost every car, and when you are doing 4 cars at a time, at $1 each extra and each car takes 15-20 min, on a busy day the $ adds up. then the tranny service(t-tech) is $5 or something , and same with the injector cleaning. (also the extra certifications give you quick raises there...somehow i was safety and fire extinguisher inspector..extra buck a hour..hell ya)

now i can understand the engine flushes are bad, in fact i refuse to use them on my own cars now that i know more about them. the thing that scares me is the managers when we ran out of engine flush filled the bottles with tranny fluid...now that is wrong. (owners had the store pulled from him that i worked at, i warned him of a few things and staff but he didnt listen and the "manager" i told him to watch out for robbed him blind, he lipped off to me once i left and told the owner its me or him, and with him there hes going to loose his business, he said hes a cert mechanic and hes a good manager..boy was he wrong about both,fake resume...1 point for me)
injector and fuel system cleaning i cant see doing any harm, except to the spark plugs maybe, we useto use some sort of snake scrub and clean the intake by scrubbing it, turned out very good.
transmission service i wouldnt let them touch (manager tried to "seal" a customers tranny pan with spray paint...nuff said....) and the coolant flush i dont see a problem with.
the coolant and the tranny flushes actually change the fluids based solely on the cars pressure and fluid circulation, so the machines themselves cant do any harm, just the techs.

bottom line, dont use quick lubes for anything but oil, and dont do a engine flush.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i read that mustang thread...hilarious....so the overwhelming consensus means....no flushing shall occur EVER! thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts