Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am now officially a CTS owner having picked my up '06 3.6 6spd with 18" performance package just after Christmas. I love the car but one small annoyance I have is that there seems to be an engine "droning noise" at about 2500rpm. I can't tell if it is exhaust or induction, but I was wondering if this is common and also if it is limited to manual transmission cars. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, the 6 Speed with 18" perf package is very sought after!

As for a dronning noise. Can you be more specific? The caddy is pretty quiet on the highway at 2,500 for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sort of sounds like an exhaust noise that you would expect under acceleration. It is more noticieable if I am tipping into the throttle or if the engine is under a bit more load. If I back of the throttle it gets quieter, and it is also quieter at higher RPM - say above 2800. Unfortunately 2500 in 6th is just around my usual highway cruising speed (120 km/h).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It this the first rear-wheel drive automobile that you have owned (not trying to be sarcastic)? The driveshaft introduces a noise that people who have only driven front-wheel drive automobiles, are not used to hearing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I've had a number of rear drivers in the past (since 1974 a series of Camaros, Firebirds a Monte Carlo and all of my wife's vehicles along the way). I think part of the issue is that the vehicle is quite quiet normally and this noise seems out of place. I'm almost wondering if there is a bit of exhaust grounding and I'm hitting a resonant frequency at this rpm.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
DrFlag2 said:
No I've had a number of rear drivers in the past (since 1974 a series of Camaros, Firebirds a Monte Carlo and all of my wife's vehicles along the way). I think part of the issue is that the vehicle is quite quiet normally and this noise seems out of place. I'm almost wondering if there is a bit of exhaust grounding and I'm hitting a resonant frequency at this rpm.
Given any thought to tire noise? Some can be very noisey.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure it is not the tires as it isn't vehicle speed related - only engine speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts