Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got loud knocking noise coming from the bottom of the engine when I started it up. The noise went away after 1 min but increased a little on acceleration. After 10 mins of driving engine shuts off and oil was flowing from the bottom of engine were tranny is connected. Better to replace motor right? What year engines work with 1998 Catera Model? Seen some listings on ebay most say 1999- 2001 3.0 but I thought they had 3.3L on those models and My Vin has R in 8th digit. What other parts should be replace while changing engine? oil cooler? timing belt and tensioner? If I spend the cash I want at least 40,000 miles of trouble free performance. Somebody I know you've been there. Help!

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
elitemotorsports said:
I got loud knocking noise coming from the bottom of the engine when I started it up. The noise went away after 1 min but increased a little on acceleration. After 10 mins of driving engine shuts off and oil was flowing from the bottom of engine were tranny is connected. Better to replace motor right? What year engines work with 1998 Catera Model? Seen some listings on ebay most say 1999- 2001 3.0 but I thought they had 3.3L on those models and My Vin has R in 8th digit. What other parts should be replace while changing engine? oil cooler? timing belt and tensioner? If I spend the cash I want at least 40,000 miles of trouble free performance. Somebody I know you've been there. Help!
1999-2001 are updated engines compared to the 97-98. All Cateras have 3.0 litre V6's. Yes if you decide to get a different engine, it would be on the safe side to replace the cambelt/tensioner and inspect the oil cooler - unless they tell you otherwise , like its been already checked or worked over.

Have you determined what actually happened to your engine? Since you're going to need a mechanic anyways this may be prudent before just "replacing" the engine (if it can be repaired). It sounds like though you might have busted a connecting pin or a connecting rod.

If you click this link , it leads to an ebay site where there are I count 3 97-98 engines for sale. Jasperengines.com sells brand Catera engines for 5k.

Please.. anyone else who's replaced their engine, contribute!!! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the car is being looked over now. Someone else made similar suggestion about connecting rods and or camshaft. bad work done previously. My longtime mechanic hopefully can come up with solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a 99> engine you will need to change the ecu as they made quite a few changes to the mapping and a lot of internal changes, including much improved oil cooler!!

Whichever engine you get, make sure you change the cambelt tensioner and pulley. I would also change the water pump and aux belt too for the small extra cost (you have to remove aux belt to change cambelt anyway).

By the way, it does sound like a conrod has snapped or possibly big end bearing failure, either one is pretty terminal!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts