Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do some paint work to my engine cover. I'm wondering if and how we can recreate the lettering on it. Is there a stencil we can buy? Vinyl type emblem?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
194 Posts
I plan on doing the same thing here in a few weeks. I wonder though, why do you want to just redo what is already there. For me, if you are going to take the time to repaint it, why not make it your own? If you want an identicle one, just find one at the junk yard or on ebay. It's not worth the time if it won't look any different than stock.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to paint the cover the body color and put the lettering back on it. I have since decided to leave the front and back edge, along with the indents the factory silver and pain the rest.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well now I'm pissed. So I had this all figured out, as I said and my boy took the engine cover to work and f'ed it up. I guess he burned through the silver on an edge or something so rather than asking me for ideas, he primed the whole thing which is to say, no more lettering.

Oh course no one in the house seems to understand what the big deal is here but I'm pretty tweaked about it.

Just wanted to vent. Anyone know where i can get a 01 engine cover from?

I should have just bought the paint and done it myself.

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
I did a similar thing this past spring codewise. i painted (body colour) the 2 side braces, the rear strut brace, the air box/snorkle, coolant tank, front plastic rad cover and engine cover - and for the lettering on the cover, I opted to be a little creative and go with an oldr style "sedan deville" script instead of the decal. have a look.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frost, that looks nice. I am doing the Volant cover and the fuse box cover on the other side. I thought about the radiator cover but I opted to leave that black. There is enough blacked out stuff on the car that black works.

I may do something like that with the emblem I'm not sure but I'm still pissed that this was such an easy thing to do and make me happy and he boned it up on me.

All that schooling I paid for and this is what it gets me LOL.

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
Frost, Your engine cover looks grrreat!

Codewise, I feel your fustration, when my boy was around 1 or 2 he was going to help dad wash and dry my Dark Blue STS........... WITH A LANDSCAPE STONE! Just as I saw him I football tackled him onto the front lawn before too much damage was done.

Then, the wife " Fraaaank why sooo mad, it's only a car and he's sooooo cute". Ya, cute kid I have alright, LOL!

Anyway you guys got me fired up, my engine cover look like %$%&^* I've been wanting to do the exact same thing. The problems, same as yours, do I make factory lettering or go buy some stencils? Have_A_Cad has a great idea, maybe some kind of script lettering would like nice? Something like this:

NORTHSTAR 300 HP

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
One other thing you can try, codewise: hit a junkyared with your trusty piano wire and "saw" off the 32VNORTHSTAR emblem from a trunklid. I'd planned on putting that emblem on my engine cover, to replace the factory decal - before I ended up with the "Sedan Deville" script. Conversely, you could install it on the strut brace - another likely spot for it.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmmmm. I have the one off my trunk. I upgraded mine to the new style N* logo.

Do I even have a strut brace?

One other thing you can try, codewise: hit a junkyared with your trusty piano wire and "saw" off the 32VNORTHSTAR emblem from a trunklid. I'd planned on putting that emblem on my engine cover, to replace the factory decal - before I ended up with the "Sedan Deville" script. Conversely, you could install it on the strut brace - another likely spot for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts