Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought an 03 CTS today and did the search on here but came up empty. Is there any covers from any of the cars that use the 3.2L engine that would work on this motor? The motor is used so it has some visible rust on the surface so I would like to have a cover to cover it up if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
:welcome: to the forum, eblend!

Regarding an engine cover, I think that you are out of luck. The only cars in the US that used this particular engine were the '03 CTS and the Cadillac Catera, which was replaced by the '03 CTS. Neither had a cover as an option.

Not sure where the rust is (heads?), but perhaps you could clean it up and repaint it?

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcome: to the forum, eblend!

Regarding an engine cover, I think that you are out of luck. The only cars in the US that used this particular engine were the '03 CTS and the Cadillac Catera, which was replaced by the '03 CTS. Neither had a cover as an option.

Not sure where the rust is (heads?), but perhaps you could clean it up and repaint it?
Thanks for the reply. Yah i will clean it all up and most likely get it powdercoated, I just wanted to see if I could hide it all for now :)

I don;t recall where the rust is, it just seems like surface rusting, its nothing major. I don't pick up the car until Thursday so I don't exactly remember where any of it is

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
As stated below: there is no factory or aftermarket intake plenum cover for the 3.2 CTS which leaves you with the option of either painting or powder coating it.

I would imagine that having it professionally powder coated will ultimately give you the most durable finish. The only downside of course is the "down time" in sending it out for powder coating.

If you don't want to experience any down time with the vehicle being out of service in waiting for your intake to be powder coated; you might want to check with Schram Auto Parts to see what the cost might be to obtain a 3.2 intake plenum from them. Advantage being that you can send that one out for powder coating and still have your vehicle in service for driving.

As you know, the CTS intake plenum is constructed from cast aluminum and has a "pebble" like finish to it from the sand cast mold. Having it powder coated will provide you a very hard durable finish and the pebble like texture on the plenum will produce a "wrinkle paint" type texture that is often seen on the intake plenum and valve covers of Ferrari's, Lotus and Maserati's which I think is a bit cool and different.

I would imagine that having it powder coated with a 2 stage PC process of first laying the base color and then a clear coat for added durability will produce a stunning result.

A great base powder coat for the intake plenum if your a fan of the color red in the engine bay compartment is a color known as "Guards Red".

Just about every powder coater will be familiar with it.

Good Luck with you project and post a picture when your done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts