Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine coolant reservoir replacement - '14 ATS

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DavidATS 
#1 ·
Needing to replace my Engine Coolant Reservoir (due to cracking causing a leak), cant find any vids or tricks anywhere.. anyone have any prior experience or advice would be killer. Thanks in advance!

2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0L
ACDelco Part No. 22948113

#3 ·
Needing to replace my Engine Coolant Reservoir (due to cracking causing a leak), cant find any vids or tricks anywhere.. anyone have any prior experience or advice would be killer. Thanks in advance!

2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0L
ACDelco Part No. 22948113
Unless your coolant is old and you want to replace it, you don't have to drain the coolant.
1) Place a bucket below the reservoir to catch the coolant and disconnect the hoses connected to it.
2) Remove/replace the reservoir and reconnect the hoses.
3) Add coolant to the marks (up and low tanks).
4) Start the engine and run it until it reaches normal operating temperature and top off the coolant if needed.

Note: They sell high temp. plastic JB weld that can weld the cracks if you don't want to spend money a new one.

#5 ·
Unless your coolant is old and you want to replace it, you don't have to drain the coolant.
1) Place a bucket below the reservoir to catch the coolant and disconnect the hoses connected to it.
2) Remove/replace the reservoir and reconnect the hoses.
3) Add coolant to the marks (up and low tanks).
4) Start the engine and run it until it reaches normal operating temperature and top off the coolant if needed.

Note: They sell high temp. plastic JB weld that can weld the cracks if you don't want to spend money a new one.
Wouldn't there be air in the system you would have to get rid of? Or am I wrong.

#6 · (Edited)
I would not waste the time, that is emergency fix the tank is pressurized, so after a couple of heat & cool cycles it will crack/separate agian.

Wouldn't there be air in the system you would have to get rid of? Or am I wrong.
GM cars as a whole do pretty good at self burping, with that being said it still wise to poor coolant directly into the radiator first (you will need to disconnect upper rad hose to do this). The times I didn't do this on my saab it would still burp it self after a good drive and a complete cool down, add coolant and you were good.

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with the above. I would also skip on trying to glue a plastic container together that gets extremely hot and extremely cold and is likely dirty. Guaranteed to fix the problem if you buy a new container, everything else is a hope.

From the video posted previously it looked like the system was able to get rid of the air, then the air had to enter the same place it needs to exit so I also don't expect a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.