Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Seville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was wondering if there is any other engine then the 4.5 liter or northstar that is stronger that i can drop in or convert or anything that i can do to make the engine stronger/faster stupid question i know but just wondering

someone told me it may be possible to use a pontiac or chevy engine like a vet engine because of similarties but they highly doubt it

·
Registered
1990 Seville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im basically looking to make a old luxury car like a cadillac into a car that looks luxurious but is also very fast without looking like it

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
A 4.9 is only going to get you upped displacement, 20 more HP and 25 ft-lbs more torque. If you really want to make your car a sleeper, since the car is OBD-I, you can easily piggyback the ECU, or remove it and replace it with a stand alone controller like a MegaSquirt, can run a supercharger (would need custom intake) or with some plumbing (IMO easier) either twin turbo (T3 type with large A/R would fit due to displacement and flow and are cheap but you'd need to do the flow calcs), or a single larger T4 type (I'd run Holset HX50+ series but that's just off top of head, need to do flow calcs) turbo and push maybe 5psi on stock internals. That may not sound like much but N/A the engine is rated 180/245, w/5psi extra you're looking at ~ 240ish HP not accounting for some thermal losses so realistically more like 50HP ish more, This may not sound like much, but when comparing some custom exhaust plumbing, installing an intercooler, and a stand-alone or piggyback with a tune, if done correctly it'll cost you roughly the same. Add forged internals and you can push as much as you like as long as you upgrade your trans, 4T60 isn't the best starting platform, and as long as mechanicals from the 4T60E like an LSD or gearsets from the 4T60E-HD are interchangeable (I don't know, just speculating) that you could go to town, but then traction will become more of an issue...

The cheapest, easiest, and fastest way to give you more HP is get Nitrous, and a piggyback, you may have to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump but you'd most likely have to for a turbo anyway so it would get you part of the way there if you ever decided to go forced induction.

Other options include porting the heads and getting bigger valves but you're going to need to retune the car, i.e. stand alone or piggyback.

There really are no 'bolt-on' or direct swaps for alot more power on these cars. That being said if you aren't afraid, I can help you with things like building and tuning a MegaSquirt (been there done that, got turbo fever from it), I can help you w/info on sizing turbos (so too can some google searches), and I could even teach you how to weld if you lived in the Atlanta area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts