Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Eldorado Touring Coupe with a bad computer and it is said to be leaking from the top of the oil pan. The car runs but going into gear it shifts very hard and the rpm gauge jumps around alot. The rpms dont jump around but it does idle kindof high and the fuel gauge always reads empty. I've heard there is more than one computer in the car so which one is the one causing me problems? Is the oil leak worth getting fixed to sell the car or should I just sell as is?

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
The PCM that controls the engine and transmission is in the passenger side footwell. Are you sure the computer is bad, or are there other problems with the car, like bad sensors, etc? Have you run a check of the computers codes to see what the problems are?
The oil leak depends on how bad it is. If it's not leaking bad, I'd worry about the other problems with the car first!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
An oil leak at "the top of the oil pan" may be a half case leak. It is about a $2000 fix as the drivetrain has to be dropped, if that is infact what it is. The good news is that it is not a pressuized leak, so it is only seepage and will never become catastrophic. That said, the oil filter adapter is a common place for a leak and is often mistaken for a half case leak. Much easier and cheaper to repair.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I guess that $2000 charge is another little "bonus" of having my engine rebuilt, I got my leak fixed for "free"... hahaha, yeah right....

Adam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a matter of fact it had a very slow oil leak from crankcase seal that I just ignored for about a year. When my tranny when up I had the mechanic change the seal. Once everything was put back together they told me it was leaking from the top of the oil pan. When they showed me it was leaking bad. Oil would steadily leak but more so when just turning the car off. It just occured to me that the oil filter is in the same area of the leak. If that is the case I am going to be very upset at the mechanic for not checking there. He admits he hates Northstars though so maybe he just wanted to be done with my car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
wesmith443 said:
As a matter of fact it had a very slow oil leak from crankcase seal that I just ignored for about a year. When my tranny when up I had the mechanic change the seal. Once everything was put back together they told me it was leaking from the top of the oil pan. When they showed me it was leaking bad. Oil would steadily leak but more so when just turning the car off. It just occured to me that the oil filter is in the same area of the leak. If that is the case I am going to be very upset at the mechanic for not checking there. He admits he hates Northstars though so maybe he just wanted to be done with my car.
My mechanic had my STS for 6 months rebuilding my engine and getting parts - I know he'll never work on another Northstar (in a major way) after the time mine has taken him. And he is GOOD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts