Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
(rip 92deville rip 94 fwb) 97 ElDog
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it swangin fellas.....

its pretty dam cold here in Chicago, an i never went with the autostart option on my remote...and running out to warm up the car for 20 minutes seems like a waste... so i stopped by my locale parts supplier and picked up a engine block heater for the 94fwb....
i dont have any clue of where to install this thing....does any one have one or know how to install it???? its cold i need to hook it up b4 i freeZe!:stirpot:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Which kind is it? Freeze plug install, just a sticky thick heating pad? Coolant circulator type?

I have been thinking of it too. It would be nice to jump into a warm car at least 1 time during the day! It was -7F on my way home last night! IL/WI border area....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure, i think it goes in a water jacket support plug....which i dont know anything about. its a heating coil in shape of a thick hair pin... hell yea, i dont want to think about how its gona be in january

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Can you post a picture or part # we can look at? Sounds odd to me. I have seen ones that go into the lower radiator hose that the heat of the warmed water forces it to circulate some, which gives you instant heat and the block is somewhat warm, so the oil isn't quite so bad and warms fast. The freeze plug heaters are the same. The heated pad heats the oil, but doesn't do much at all for coolant to get warm, so it makes starting easier, but not much for instant heat.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Freeze plug heaters are an easy install, but they can be a little messy. Even once you drain the block, the first good whap you get on the freeze plug with a punch, the plug turns a little and coolant goes where it wants. However, getting the plug out is easy, keep whapping at it from different sides with a wide flat punch, and it'll loose itself. You might have to work around a few things under the engine, but it's a pretty easy job. Use Permatex B-2 around the edge. Clean the hole well, make sure it's dry. Put the plug in after about 10 minutes of letting the B-2 get tacky, and tighten it down. Ignore the instructions on tightness, they're never tight enough, Go a little past "firm," maybe to "somewhat tight."

Block heaters are much more effective than hose heaters or pads. They keep the coolant that should be warm warm. Hose heaters waste because the heat doesn't radiate like it does in the block, it just warms the hose coolant and maybe some of the radiator and block. I know which heater you're talking about, I put it in my 90 Brougham about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
90Brougham350 said:
Freeze plug heaters are an easy install, but they can be a little messy. Even once you drain the block, the first good whap you get on the freeze plug with a punch,
ooh that sounds like what i have, but i still dont know where the "freeze plug" is located...so ill try to get a pic up of this heater on here just to clarify... ill be lookin in the service manual till then...

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
There are a number of freeze plugs in the engine block. They're the same size around as your heater obviously, and they're a steel pressure-fit plug. Crawl under the Fleetwood and take a look at the engine. You should be able to see them in the side of the block. I'm assuming the heater will go in the rear driver's side plug location. It's easiest to get to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts