Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears GM was just out-gunned, out-classed and out-sold in this odd corner of the truck market by several competitors who offered far more flexible vehicle configurations. I actually didn't realize the Top Kick and Kodiak were made at the same GM truck plant alongside the Silverado and Sierra. Now that I look at the wheelbase and overall design though I suppose I can kind of see that.

Yet another small piece of the pie for Ford to take back.

Story Here: http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/06/gm-to-end-medium-duty-truck-production.html

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Ford isn't that big of a player in that market either. Navistar/International just about owns the market for big box trucks, electric company trucks, refridgerated box trucks, etc. Isuzu is another big player in this market with their cab over trucks.

Sucks for all those people in Flint out of work now.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
We have an international (an old one). It suckzors, the only good thing about it is the engine, which was made by AMC.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
It is good that they do it to save money, but it made a bad ass class "C" motor home. It what I want to replace my Class A.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,091 Posts
Ford isn't that big of a player in that market either. Navistar/International just about owns the market for big box trucks, electric company trucks, refridgerated box trucks, etc. Isuzu is another big player in this market with their cab over trucks.

Sucks for all those people in Flint out of work now.
Isuzu is GM. The engine is a 350 V8 and the transmission is GM as well. Box vans around here are KW, Freightliner, and Sterling.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
The Isuzu NPR is the largest selling medium duty truck in the world. You can put almost anything on that chasis. Even a small cement mixer.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Isuzu is GM. The engine is a 350 V8 and the transmission is GM as well. Box vans around here are KW, Freightliner, and Sterling.
Not in the medium duty market. They use a diesel in the trucks I'm talking about, and the 350 V8 went out of production in new cars/trucks several years ago. GM used to own 49% of Isuzu, but sold most of its shares.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I'd love to drive one of these for work.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I've seen a lot of the older NPRs with badges on them saying "EFI V8". I walk around and look at the engine and what do I see? A throttle body injected Chevy small block.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
I'd love to drive one of these for work.
Haha. My friend got beat by one of those when he had his 1985 FWB. He was so pissed, but that's the HT-4100 for ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts