Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT5 RED PLATINUM 2018 RED AUDI Q5
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the Detroit Free Press stated the end of the CT6 with the 2020 model. Very Sad

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
102 Posts
The CT6 has died a thousand deaths already. I say nothing is certain about the CT6 until the strike is settled and sorted out.

·
Registered
2018 CT6 Premium Luxury Red Horizon Tintcoat with Supercruise
21 Posts
I am pretty sure the manufacturer of the CT6 in the US is one of the items the UAW and GM are negotiating over. Also, they might still import them from China.

What is Cadillac without a flagship sedan.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
102 Posts
They may as well kill it. It won't survive in the market place without 3.0TT engine.
Yes....A performance power plant is a must, but the plan was (is?) that the Blackwing would surplant the 3.0TT.

Also keep in mind that the CT6 will survive in China. Cadillac is an important part of the GM business there, and big sedans sell very well there. So business-wise it makes sense to import it from there. All other full-size luxury sedans sold in the U.S. (except Lincoln) are imported.....Mercedes S-class, BMW 7 series, Lexus LS, Genesis G90, Jag XJ, Audi A8. So why not the CT6? Answer: the current labor negotiations and tariff war with China are precluding a decision. If and when we get beyond all that business logic sanity may prevail.....and the CT6 may survive!

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,112 Posts
They replaced the 3.0TT with the Blackwing. That is the standard engine on Platinum now.
You’re right. I also think that keeping the NA 3.6 and eliminating the 3.0TT is a mistake. The top tier car should have these two power motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
102 Posts
The proposed contract settlement calls for the Detroit-Hamtramck plant to remain open past January 2020 (the other idled plants will specifically remain closed). That is the plant of course that produces the CT6.

GM talks about it's future as being electric vehicles, but that will not happen immediately.....certainly not next year. So in the meantime it would seem convenient to keep producing the CT6 there until the end of the typical 6-year model cycle (2022), and perhaps at that time convert to importing from China with a wholly refreshed model???

Or is this logic a fantasy?

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,831 Posts
There are several reasons foreign manufacturers build their cars in the country they plan to sell the majority of them in. Importing cars from China isn't nearly as profitable, especially for a vehicle that has never sold well in the first place.

The well-intentioned CT6 was too little too late, being introduced just as sedan sales plummeted. Letting the transmission issue linger as long as it did certainly didn't help boost the image for what was promised to be Cadillac's flagship entry. ("The car we have to get right." according to JdN, just prior to release.) Cadillac's other two (new) sedans are less than inspiring; it will be interesting to watch their sales figures. A follow-on full size sedan (CT8) isn't even mentioned as a rumor anymore.

Detroit-Hamtramck produces two vehicles: the CT6 and Malibu, employing about 800 workers. Both vehicles are slated to be built until Jan 2020. After that, nothing is certain, but GM has pledged to invest 3 billion to build electric trucks and vans there. The future of the CT6 has not been officially stated, but you're right - GM is betting the farm on two things: Electrification and CUV/SUVs. One has happened, the other is about to.

CCC

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport Platinum
14 Posts
When I look about the roadway or parking lot it seems that about half the vehicles are sedans and the other half a mix of SUV, vans and pickups. Does GM and Ford think that all those people driving sedans really wish they had one of those other vehicles or do they think they can force them into buying one if they don’t build sedans?
Guess I’ll be driving my 2014 XTS Vsport Platinum for a rather long time!

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I look about the roadway or parking lot it seems that about half the vehicles are sedans and the other half a mix of SUV, vans and pickups. Does GM and Ford think that all those people driving sedans really wish they had one of those other vehicles or do they think they can force them into buying one if they don’t build sedans?
Guess I’ll be driving my 2014 XTS Vsport Platinum for a rather long time!
Of those 50% cars, how many were new? Of the 5 vehicles I own, all 4 sedans were purchased used, and the truck was bought new (business acquisition).

Problem is that when you look at the sales numbers, cars have fallen out of favor with the American people. If i am not mistaken, the SRX out sold the ATS, CTS, and XTS...combined.

·
Registered
2018 CT6
117 Posts
Today the Detroit Free Press stated the end of the CT6 with the 2020 model. Very Sad
As far as I am concerned the CT6 died with the 2019 model year. $95,000 is just too much money for my blood to get a great performance engine. I would buy, in a New York Minute, the 2020 if it offered the 3.0 TT. It's not so, I think I have bought my last Cadillac and I am a very big proponent of Buy America and it saddens me to make the following statement. MBUSA is calling as they still think performance Sedans are viable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fine GM, there are plenty of luxury carmakers abroad who would be grateful to make a sale to a US luxury car buyer especially one that was a long time former Cadillac buyer.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
102 Posts
As far as I am concerned the CT6 died with the 2019 model year. $95,000 is just too much money for my blood to get a great performance engine. I would buy, in a New York Minute, the 2020 if it offered the 3.0 TT. It's not so, I think I have bought my last Cadillac and I am a very big proponent of Buy America and it saddens me to make the following statement. MBUSA is calling as they still think performance Sedans are viable.
2018 US unit sales figures:

MB S-Class: 14,978
Cadillac CT6: 9,668

Not all that different really considering that the S-Class is well known and is actively marketed.

S-Class sales in the US have been trending downwards for each of the last 5 years (from 25,000 units in 2014).

CT6 sales were essentially flat for 2016-2018. So in a way the CT6 was actually closing the gap!

But of course, the S-Class has a huge global market, and everything is sourced from Germany.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
546 Posts
2018 US unit sales figures:

MB S-Class: 14,978
Cadillac CT6: 9,668

Not all that different really considering that the S-Class is well known and is actively marketed.

S-Class sales in the US have been trending downwards for each of the last 5 years (from 25,000 units in 2014).

CT6 sales were essentially flat for 2016-2018. So in a way the CT6 was actually closing the gap!

But of course, the S-Class has a huge global market, and everything is sourced from Germany.
Plus a base S 560 4 motion goes for $3,000 more than the Platinum and has a less powerful engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts