Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately i have been getting a "emmisions system service" message does anyone know what this means??? my father said that it had to do w/ some kind of a carbon build up, is that true? how can i get rid of it. usually when it comes up i just press the "info" button and it makes it disappear but next time i turn on the car it reappears can anyone help me plz??
thank you in advance

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Are there any codes? In case you don't know what this means, the car's computers not only will alert you that something is wrong (hence, the "emmisions system service" message), but oftentimes, it will also let you know *specifically* what is wrong such as a bad oxygen sensor. In order to do that, you need to know how to read the trouble codes.

For information on how to read these codes, see: http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto.html and scroll down to the part that says, "DTC Codes".

Or, you can go here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53635

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,i get the same message myself,i have the code 420,most likely it's the o2 sensor behind the cat,or i could have a bad cat.When you change a cat,you would change the sensor too,so i am goning to replace the sensor first,if that works,i wont have to change the cat.Check your codes,see what it is,it's easy to check them.

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you everyone for your input ill check those codes this weekend, illbe sure to post if i have any.

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok after finally having some time i checked if i have any codes and i have four of them

PC0135 (history)
PC0603 (history)
RS0038 (current)
PZ2471 (history)

And that forum w/ the codes says that the 1996 models have 2 letters and 4 numbers and he doesnt know how to translate them into the 1 letter and 4 numbers that the rest of the cars have. Of course my car is a 1996 so i dont know what these codes mean so maybe someone else knows thank you very much!!!

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Polski Polak said:
ok after finally having some time i checked if i have any codes and i have four of them

PC0135 (history)
PC0603 (history)
RS0038 (current)
PZ2471 (history)

And that forum w/ the codes says that the 1996 models have 2 letters and 4 numbers and he doesnt know how to translate them into the 1 letter and 4 numbers that the rest of the cars have. Of course my car is a 1996 so i dont know what these codes mean so maybe someone else knows thank you very much!!!
OK, so here it is: The PC0135 (translates to P0135) is the Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor. That's why you're getting the "Service Emissions System" code. That sensor probably needs to be changed. There are 4 sensors. One for each bank of cylinders, one before the cat, and one after it. The B1S1 sensor is the one in the manifold for the rear cylinder bank. It can be tricky to access, but I got mine with a couple of long extensions, an O2 sensor socket, and ratchet. You'll need to buy the new sensor first, they are AC-Delco part number AFS109 and they are $72 each from www.rockauto.com. You may find a better price elsewhere, but that's a pretty good price.

The other code that needs service is RS0038, which means the rear electronic level control solenoid is shorted. They tend to get rusty inside and short out. I've fixed mine as well. You can probably use the Search feature above to find information about RS0038, or if you can't find anything let me know and I'll post the instructions to fix it.

The PC0603 error code just means you've had the battery disconnected at some point in the recent past. The PZ2471 code translates to B2471 and means "Interior Lamp Fault." I have no idea what that means or how to find or fix it. Maybe someone else will chime in with some answers on that for you. If you don't notice anything wrong with the interior lamps, maybe just don't worry about it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts