Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Cadillac Seville
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What stuff is emissions stuff that i can remove? i want to clean up my engine bay area
any help would be great
thanks
Jon
i believe what is circled in yellow is able to be removed? am i right??

Attachments

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,529 Posts
your not going to gain very much... If you have the 8-6-4 shut off so you run on all 8 all the time... you can take off the vacume pump thats bolted to the power steering pump and just cap the hose...you could put 425 pullies on so you could take off the AIR pump....you would have to change the crank pully and the waterpump pully...then you could just cap off the air hose to the heads and cat.... or you could take off the tube that goes from head to head and block them holes off and cut the tube to the cat and cap it...but I hope your state don't check to make sure that it is stock... I know many states don't check much after cars are over 25 years old...

K

·
0 Posts
Personally I do not think removing factory equipment makes it look better.
To me it looks like an inexperienced home mechanic butchered it and it normally will have drivability issues because of it. I hate finding cars this way.

If you alter the EGR system you have fuel mixture issues and very high cylinder temps, this is not good.

I assume it has a smog pump. If you alter this it will affect the catalytic converters, this is not good.

I would pressure wash it, paint the air cleaner, valve covers, and other simple items. Tidy the wires. Armor all it.

To dress it up and increase performance you could swap out the air cleaner for a duel snorkel fresh air design. They give a real nice performance look and work well too.

·
Registered
81 Cadillac Seville
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
kiowamec about the duel snorkel fresh air design, do you know of a site that i could buy one from, or any pictures of what it would look like. i think i know but am not sure if that is what you are talking about, thanks for the suggestions, i probably will clean up the engine area with armor all and clean the valve covers and everything else. When i bought the car there wasnt cat on and there still isnt

drmenard what is the air pump for specifically? the 8-6-4 option?
there is a tube that goes to the cat from the air pump, if i don't have a cat then there must be a tube that isn't plugged, you said to plug the holes what happens if you don't plug the holes?

in the picture what is circled in yellow is that the EGR system?

thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,529 Posts
The air pump on your car is just below the alternator... It pumps fresh air into the cat. and heads. and into the air cleaner on decellaration... the valve you have circled directs the air pump air to the right place at the right time..If you don't have a cat. you don't need a air pump...it can waste a few horsepower... and you don't have too many...air pumps have been on the caddys scence the 60's, not all years though...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I agree with what someone said earlier, removing emissions equipment doesn't necessarily increase performance or enhance the appearance.
It makes it look like a hack has been working on your car, and in most cases removing emissions equipment can actually make the car run worse since it was engineered to have it on there in the first place.
Even the AIR pump has benefits for performance when it is working.
Not to mention that removing all that stuff is "technically" illegal, regardless of what year the car is.
If your locality adopts emissions testing and you have removed all that equipment you are going to be in a world of hurt.

K

·
0 Posts
After looking again at your picture it seems you may not have enough room on the pass side for another snorkel.

I do not know if these vehicles had a hose running to the front of the vehicle for fresh air from the factory but you could make your own.

Here is a nice example of a dual snorkel setup.

I use to know of an aftermarket manufacturer of dual snorkels but I can't remember their name. They were about $300 dollars each though.

It would be best to leave all the equipment alone. I would leave the tube to the cat open because I do not know what blocking its flow completely would do, open is safer in this case. The reason for the pumps were primarly due to poor control over fuel mixtures at the time. The exhaust still had enough raw fuel left in it that the burning process in the cat needed more oxygen to burn it off cleanly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts