Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice ASAP. I lost the key fob to my STS last night when it fell out my bedroom window into a very thick shrub or some snow. I looked for hours but couldn't find it. I'm buying a replacement that will be in tomorrow and my girlfriend is looking for the #2 fob at her house today. At the moment I'm locked out of the car and the door key is in the glovebox. My fear is if someone finds the keyfob they can take off with my car. What can I do to protect it from being stolen without being able to open the doors, trunk, or hood? I live in an apartment complex and my car is parked in a lot.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Far as I know and have seen you are out of luck. Your GF needs to find that other FOB, or you need to tear the area around the window apart until you find yours. Make sure to check up high in the bush and all the way to the ground, slowly and cautiously as your looking could move it.

Having your key in the glovebox was your big mistake, that took all your options away to get into the car. I would highly recommend if you get into the car to take it out and never store it in the car again, that is your only mechanical way to get into the car when the battery or other electronics fail on the vehicle. Maybe make a spare key also to keep in a safe place at home. It is also your only way to reprogram in a new fob without towing it to a dealer and I am not sure how much they can or will do without a key or way to get into the vehicle short of breaking a window.

Wish you the best of luck, maybe someone else will have some other way to get into the car.

----------

If you have a way to pump it back up, then maybe let all the air out of one of the tires is about the only way to keep the car from being taken if someone finds the key fob..

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't usually keep the key in the glovebox, I had it in there so I could valet park the car and lock the glovebox after flipping the valet switch the other night. I typically keep it in a drawer on my nightstand for safe keeping, it seems to be the kind of luck I'm having the last couple days. I know how to do the wipe all known keys and start over procedure so once I get the #2 fob from my girlfriend I'll wipe the lost one immediately then just do it again when the new #1 comes in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts