Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The emergency brake light on the dash of my 85 deville stays on even after the brake is released... any ideas as to what could cause this?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Low brake fluid level?
Sticking park brake switch?
Binding lever causing incomplete release of the lever?
Sticking cables, binding hardware, faulty IPC, certain ABS DTCs, the list goes on.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,183 Posts
Place your toe under the parking brake pedal and lift. Does the light go out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The light does not go out when lift the pedal with my foot... and my brake fluid level is fine... is the parking brake switch just like the brake light switch?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Usually the switch that controls the red brake lamp from the park brake pedal is just a set of contacts with a single wire connector.

It's usually way up towards the top back of the pedal assembly.
Try unplugging the single wire connector on the switch then recheck the light.
If it's out, you probably have a bent or otherwise damaged switch.

There are still more possibilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm... so today I took off the plastic cover underneath the dash to take a look at the switch... I unplugged it and the light remained on... I fiddled with the switch for awhile but got nowhere... however... what I did notice was that the light remains on constantly, but when I use the parking brake it gets a tad brighter, then when I release the brake it dims but stays on... this car confuses me sometimes...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That is pretty normal, because you are adding an additional ground to turn the light on.
I am pretty rusty on '85 Deville, but it seems to me that it could be the result of an ABS code.
If I remember I'll try to see if I can find an 85 manual today. This is an FWD car we are talking about right? (sorry I work on lots of cars, hard to remember 20 years worth).

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I don't think you could even get ABS brakes on those DeVilles. Is there another light for brake problems or does it use the same light? Maybe that's why it's on.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yeah, I don't see any ABS stuff on there, sorry about that.

It looks like there is an additional switch according to the shop manual.
The things that can turn the brake light on normally are, the ignition switch (for the bulb check), the proportioning valve, if there is a system imbalance, the park brake switch, and a "low brake vacuum switch".
It is likely tied into the booster somehow and it senses low vacuum to warn you if there is a problem with the booster.
Take a look around, see if you see anything electrical tied into the vacuum booster and unplug it, see if the light goes out.
Otherwise you are probably looking at a short in the wire that goes from the lamp to all those switches. That could be anywhere.

HTH.
Sorry I took so long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help... Today ill poke around to see if anything is disconnnected... as far as ABS the car did not come with it... and if there was low vacuum to the booster wouldnt that cause drivability problems? and I also thought that there was a seperate light on the dash to warn you of any brake system problems... hmmm... ill look into it some more...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
No, the red brake light is hooked to all those things I named, if it comes on you just have to figure out which one is messed up.

The sensor for the booster could be bad making the light come on even if there isn't actually a problem with the booster.
You need to find each switch and disconnect each one until the light goes out, then try to find out why that switch is activaing. It could be a bad whatever switch or an actual problem with that component.
You won't find anything disconnected causing the light to come on, just something that's plugged in that is either malfunctioning or telling you that something is actually wrong with the brake system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help ewill3rd, I did as you said... the sensor that goes into the booster had two of the wires frayed and were making contact with each other. I used some electrical tape to cover them up and the light finally went away... now im off to fix the other countless problems with my car... :yawn:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Thanks for letting me know... glad to have helped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts