Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sedan DeVille of my rear quarter panel was loose, so I pulled it off before it fell off somewhere. My question is how can I clean the old glue off the car, and what should I use to stick it back on with?

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
The Sedan DeVille of my rear quarter panel was loose, so I pulled it off before it fell off somewhere. My question is how can I clean the old glue off the car, and what should I use to stick it back on with?
Any auto parts store has the adhesive to reapply it. I've seen it at various places, but never tried it. As far as getting the old off I would try a razor blade, Just be careful not to scrape the paint too. You may try something like Goo-gone or some other household all purpose cleaner on it aswell. I have a few emblems to reapply on my car, but havent yet. Those are just my ideas, I havent practiced them so you may wait and see if anyone else has first hand experience

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
I take off my Emblems all the time so that I can polish them :D

I just leave the original factory glue on there so that I can see exactly where the emblem was when it was shipped. For re-applying, 3M Automotive Adhesive works well.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any auto parts store has the adhesive to reapply it. I've seen it at various places, but never tried it. As far as getting the old off I would try a razor blade, Just be careful not to scrape the paint too. You may try something like Goo-gone or some other household all purpose cleaner on it aswell. I have a few emblems to reapply on my car, but havent yet. Those are just my ideas, I havent practiced them so you may wait and see if anyone else has first hand experience
Yeah, my biggest fear is ruining the paint trying to get the glue off. Goo-gone wouldn't ruin it, would it? I don't want to risk it with a razor.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
I understand not wanting to use a razor due to the risk. I wouldnt think goo-gone would hurt it, but again I never tried. Maybe Rodya could chime back in as to how important it is to even remove the old adhesive. I doubt it all has to come off perfect, Nice to have some old on so you can reposition correctly.. Another idea I had on mine which would be a bit less risky is using some sand paper. I need to get around to trying it all though

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sand paper would just scratch, wouldn't it? I think I'm just going to measure when putting it back on

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
Put the sand paper down and step away from the car.

Goo Gone or lighter fluid will do wonders and will not hurt the paint.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Don't use anything containing Acetone either, it will bleach clothes and strip your pain right off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts