Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "CADILLAC" chrome script emblem on the lower right area on the trunk lid on my `78 Deville--original chrome.
Were there ever any other emblems,such as "SEDAN DEVILLE", "FLEETWOOD" etc. located on
either side of lower trunk lid of that era?

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Only "Cadillac" on the trunk lid.
Mine has "Coupe Deville" script on the C pillar only. Sedans may be the same.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don`t know if I should add a "Sedan Deville" script emblem appropriately distanced "under" the original CADILLAC
emblem or perhaps on the lower "left" area of trunk or not.
The lower left area of trunk has no emblems at all.
Maybe I should just leave it as is. Don`t want to overdo it.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
I don`t know if I should add a "Sedan Deville" script emblem appropriately distanced "under" the original CADILLAC
emblem or perhaps on the lower "left" area of trunk or not.
The lower left area of trunk has no emblems at all.
Maybe I should just leave it as is. Don`t want to overdo it.
My previous 79 Fleetwood was badged Fleetwood, My current 79 Coupe is badged Cadillac. Those old emblems are sure al lot nicer that the plastic stick on ones. Funny thing the original selling dealer badged the left side of the trunk, its still in perfect condition.

Personally I wouldn't add anything else. Did you get the trunk pinstriped?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My previous 79 Fleetwood was badged Fleetwood, My current 79 Coupe is badged Cadillac. Those old emblems are sure al lot nicer that the plastic stick on ones. Funny thing the original selling dealer badged the left side of the trunk, its still in perfect condition.

Personally I wouldn't add anything else. Did you get the trunk pinstriped?
Luckily there are no dealership (where the car was bought at) badges on it.
There was no pin striping on trunk, just the striping that runs from front to back along hood contour to rear along top of doors to rear quarter
panels then onto rear bumper fillers--- double striping and tapering to a point on both ends.
Since getting my '78 painted to "Western Saddle Firemist" all the subtle body contour lines really pop out---body contour lines
that I never noticed before when it was a brown color.
Lighter colors reflect more light.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I personally would look for an original Dealership logo in good shape to go on the appropriate side.
The dealers usually had very nice metal chrome badges that compliment the brand logo on the other side nicely.(There were exceptions of course!)
While I would have pulled them off when new, on a vintage car I like the authentic look when equipped with the badge.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I guess I only see value in that if it is the true original dealer at which the car was sold new. If you don't have that, I wouldn't just go find a dealer plaque and stick it on.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I guess I only see value in that if it is the true original dealer at which the car was sold new. If you don't have that, I wouldn't just go find a dealer plaque and stick it on.
Yup.
Takes some research, and then a lot of looking for it, and then you have to hope the dealer didn't cheap out on the badge.
If it all works out it can be a beautiful addition to a classic IMO.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed---I would "not" just put any random dealer badge on it.
It would have to be original dealer and who even knows if after 37 years if they even exist or not.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here is a picture of my Mercury. Sadly, it hasn't run in years, but someday...

Anyway, it's still wearing the dealer emblem put on when it was new in 1957 (sitting on factory paint, as well :) )

----------

When I bought the car in '96, it had a promotional magnetic clip stuck to the dashboard with the name of a local mechanic printed on it. It is still there on the dash. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it does have a 5 digit phone number on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts