Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac DTS (Luxury 1)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 DTS (lux1)
I was hoping someone could tell me what this
Is? It’s on the passenger side of the windshield. I read in the manual that the am/fm antenna is in the rear window. Is this part of the antenna? Does it have to do with the auto/rain wiper? I don’t think I have that option so I’m just throwing darts.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
74,071 Posts
One of several antennas. AM/FM/GPS. Same sort of conductive printing as the glass heater strips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All cars w "onstar capable" can be track by the police.
I have been reading that you can use the “on star interface“ to make the DTS Bluetooth capable for hands free cell phone use. I don’t have any use for Onstar anyway.

·
2007 DTS
'07 DTS, '11 Impala LT
98 Posts
I have blue tooth in my '07 DTS using a device that looks likes this...

I bought it at walmart, about $25. Now my car has NAV, phone, and other features that my phone can offer.
I mount my phone to the dash, when I drive. This device plugs into a small jack located close to the radio.

The thing I regret is that I did not use this sooner. I should have bought this device the day I bought the car.

Attachments

·
Administrator
74,071 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

What car, make, model, year ??? What came off of what where ???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I bought it at walmart, about $25. Now my car has NAV, phone, and other features that my phone can offer.
I mount my phone to the dash, when I drive. This device plugs into a small jack located close to the radio.

The thing I regret is that I did not use this sooner. I should have bought this device the day I bought the car.
Thank you. After a quick google search, this will do just fine. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
74,071 Posts
Look at the various windshield electric strip and sensor adhesives in any parts store.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks again, works great & can’t beat the price.

Attachments

·
2007 DTS
'07 DTS, '11 Impala LT
98 Posts
If I understand correctly OnStar will have a problem using the phone network / the cellular service.
Hence the service will discontinue.

However there is still the GPS component of the system which can still work. As this component uses satellite not cellular. That does not mean OnStar would still be able to locate you, but authorities could still have GPS services that could provide tracking.

Let's face it, the remains of OnStar or your cell phone will still be used by authorities.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
889 Posts
If the cellular network is inoperative then neither OnStar or any other agency can track you. Yes, the GPS system still works and can tell where the vehicle is.
Without a cellular connection there is no way for anyone to get that information from outside the vehicle.
GPS systems are one way communication. Information is transmitted from the satellites to the vehicle. There is no communication the other way.

Your OnStar equipped vehicle poses no threat.
The same cannot be said about your cell phone.
Even if you turn off the location services of your phone and disable the GPS information you can still be tracked.
The only way to prevent this would be to turn off the phone or not have one with you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts