Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Caddy is a 2014 Cadillac ELR and a strange thing happened yesterday.
  • The audio for the radio goes in and out, so does XM Radio or Bluetooth.
  • Also the controls on the steering wheel were not lighting up.. Although they seem to work.
  • Also as I was driving I could see the CUE system reboot itself as I drive down the road.
I did the CUE reset - On-Off, Open storage compartment, open door for 30-60 secs, close door routine for a reboot and it seemed to reboot. No difference

As I noted it ALSO seemed to reboot as I was driving ( The clock would go on and off and reset to 12AM ). Let the car sit for an hour and came back and still the same..

Got into the Trunk and checked the modules back there and the battery and all looked fine.. I even wiggled connectors.

So my trouble shooting seems to point to these conclusions..

#1 - It seems limited to the CUE system and is primarily an ELR not a "VOLT" issue which leads me back to .

#2 - Seems very much a CUE issue more than anything to do with the 12V system of the ELR.

#3 - Given its intermittent nature and those that have had it happen can't see a rhyme or reason, for its occurance its probably a connector or a CUE interface glitch with the BCM/HMI. BUT not the CUE system itself ( as the CUE Hard reset doesn't work) as the ELR is different than other Caddys, AND different than the Volt Infotainment system.

#4 - As this issue seems to be solved either by time ( Corrosion in or wiggling of the connector ) or putting it on the Charger, seems to be the "fix". Intermittent issues like this often come to a pin or two in a connector not making proper contact by the smallest of margins. Often at the wrong time ( start up ). Light wiggling can make that connection, OR electrons can jump the gap during start up. I think the putting on the charger gives the car a boost to close that gap that simple restarting doesnt do. Also the start up sequence has gotta be different through the BCM, than if the system is unplugged from the Charger. So that maybe where the issue lies.

As a pure guess ( and being I have been playing with older EFI systems and building my own computers for a while ) some issues that "fix themselves" seem to because a wire finally falls into the right place due to vibration of the car.. OR if its a matter of some slight corrosion the corrosion or moisture in a pin finally evaporates or clears out.

That or I had something in the trunk that smacked the right wire or connector. Which is also what probably started it.. So for now its fixed itself and I will make sure the junk in my trunk is away from that module, and possibly make a cover for it. The real issue for me is why is the module and wiring exposed in the trunk ? But thats another issue.

So :
  1. Anyone here have a similar problem with a NON-ELR CUE ?
  2. This car was at the Cadillac Dealer prior to my purchase for a few months sorting out the 12V system and other bugs, so maybe its a bigger issue than it would seem ?
  3. Anyone else have this problem and actually know exactly what it was ?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,917 Posts
#2 is the red flag for me. These cars (and Volts) are VERY sensitive to low/failing 12V batteries. Has the original battery been replaced yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at a LOT Of wiring diagrams and more.. I am thinking It maybe a issue in the instrument cluster itself.. As it ties to both steering controls and CUE via HMI and the Amp.

A number of the the G206 grounds are connected to the panel AND the steering wheel. Given the steering wheel control "lighting" is not part of the dimable lighting circuits and it shoudl be on no matter what. I think a bad ground or intermittent one could cause the steering wheel and instrument panel to search for a ground through the Data circuit. I think if it does that, the computer gets all sorts of confused. When you put the car on the charger.. it properly grounds the circuits and problem goes away until a series of ground faults causes it again.

There are very few other ways the Amp system, and the lights for the steering wheel interconnect.

It's all either bat +12, Ground, or through the 12 Network Data bus for all the different controls.

So I will dig into the car and find out where this G206 Ground is.. and see it if its loose or has corrosion.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,746 Posts
"I did the CUE reset - On-Off, Open storage compartment, open door for 30-60 secs, close door routine for a reboot and it seemed to reboot. No difference"

This is a myth repeated so many times it's interpreted as a fact. It may have worked in 2013 with the first firmware version of CUE, but it has NEVER worked since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I did the CUE reset - On-Off, Open storage compartment, open door for 30-60 secs, close door routine for a reboot and it seemed to reboot. No difference"

This is a myth repeated so many times it's interpreted as a fact. It may have worked in 2013 with the first firmware version of CUE, but it has NEVER worked since.
Well I will say the CUE system DID reboot.. I saw it.. But it didnt fix anything. I also saw it reboot on its own as I was driving too.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
As I've posted to the last hundred owners who said they could re-boot their CUE systems with the mythical door-opening method, I'll believe it when I see them post a video of their systems actually re-booting.

Funny, no one has ever accepted the challenge, so I remain a skeptic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I've posted to the last hundred owners who said they could re-boot their CUE systems with the mythical door-opening method, I'll believe it when I see them post a video of their systems actually re-booting.

Funny, no one has ever accepted the challenge, so I remain a skeptic.
Hmm.. Challenge accepted.. Although the car doesnt have a problem now. Pretty sure I could still get it to reboot.

The issue is how can you tell its a reboot or just the car start up sequence ?

I know when I was driving down the road it was rebooting. As the clock would go to 12:00 and then reset.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Do you know the difference between a Cold Start, Warm Start, Re-boot, or Reset?

The procedure you've cited is supposed to work anytime (unless the CUE ICS has issues) the car is parked.

Just so we're on the same page, it would be helpful for you to make a complete list of the operator actions and subsequent CUE indications according to the "official" (what I call mythical) CUE re-boot.

This is what you started with:

There is supposed to be a yellow screen with a message displayed if it works. Like I said, this may have been for real on the first CUE firmware release and it spread through the forums early on in '13/14. Then after a couple of bug fixes were deployed it vanished, but is still promoted by people who have never performed it. Even the "CUE Guru" at my dealership mentioned it and I brought him out to my car and said, "Show me." He could never get it to execute either.

This is why I challenge anyone to prove this type of reset still exists and to date, no one ever has.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AH.. I did read about the yellow screen and didnt see it but wasn't sure what I was looking for. So at least that kind of reboot maybe never happened and I just saw a Warm start..

Now as for waht I saw going down the road.. that was the screen flickering, the time disappearing, and then reappearing on the top corner from the 3PM it was to 12:00.. then a minute later adjusting itself back to the 3PM time.. It did this about 4 times during the 40 minute drive.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Then we're discussing two separate issues. You've got a CUE system problem (most likely a hardware fault) with what I believe has the same symptoms I've seen posted before.

The problem in identifying the related post is that CUE-related issues are numerous and spread throughout every CUE-equipped model sub-forum, including this CUE-specific sub-forum. Your lighting issue on the steering wheel is what jogged my memory. I can't remember if the fix was the amp or not. Maybe you can use the Search function and find it before I do.

CC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then we're discussing two separate issues. You've got a CUE system problem (most likely a hardware fault) with what I believe has the same symptoms I've seen posted before.

The problem in identifying the related post is that CUE-related issues are numerous and spread throughout every CUE-equipped model sub-forum, including this CUE-specific sub-forum. Your lighting issue on the steering wheel is what jogged my memory. I can't remember if the fix was the amp or not. Maybe you can use the Search function and find it before I do.

CC
Before I do.. is your memory of it being a big issue that gets worse.. Or one that goes away ?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The car erupted in a ball of flame and we only learned of the problem through his widow.

If I knew the answer to your question I'd provide a link to the original post. . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Has anyone had their cue and steering wheel go black? I brought my 2013 SRX to the dealer thinking the cue went out again (eleven months previous to this, the bottom of the cue wasn't working correctly so they replaced it under warranty). I was told it wasn't the cue this time, it was the HMI module. I had to pay before they would order the part, it took exactly four weeks before the part came in. The module was installed and nothing changed. The technician tried different things and contacted someone from GM. He was given a couple things to try and I received a call today saying it is the CUE (12 mth warranty expired during the month waiting on the module. We have been in contact with GM and waiting to hear back from them on this issue. Anyone have this issue?
He had NO replies.. But at least it kind of points to NOT being the HMI.

Not much to go on with this one either.

Although his was fixed by removing the Negative which would reset and clean the ground.

Still leaning towards a ground issue.

Found no threads mentioning the Amp and the steering wheel lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts