Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Long time since I've been here, I hope you all are well. So ironically, on the actual one year anniversary since I bought my Deville, I had my first issue with it. I've had no problems in the last 12 months, going from 97,000 to 110,000 miles. But today, out of nowhere, after filling up with gas, my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The air bag light, security light, traction light and battery light were all on, there was no readout for engine temp or fuel level, miles to empty, or mpg. It started and ran fine, but I was stunned to see all those lights at once. Drove 5 minutes home, turned it off, and started it up again. Same deal. I ran the on-board diagnostics scan procedure, but it couldn't find any info for any of the systems it checked. I ended up leaving for 5 minutes and coming back to try it again, I was going to just post this here but figured I'd try to start it again, and see if anything changed. Sure enough, I started it up, and there were no lights, all readouts were back to normal.

So my question is, anyone have any idea what the hell just happened today, what may be the issue, and if it's running fine now with no lights, should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

- Cut

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pray to the electronics gods.

Still no data or power - U - codes?
Hey Sub, hope all is well on the East Coast. So yes, I just ran out and did the systems check again, its displaying the info now (all the codes are history, as there were no lights on before this happened).

Why do you say to pray? Is this the sign of a significant issue? Something computer-related? I haven't the slightest idea.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,582 Posts
Our GM/Cadillac fetishes are sometimes a bit scary .............. Just for shits and grins, get behind the two carpeted kick panels at the front inner fenderwells - your left foot; the passenger's right foot. There are a couple of multiple ground boxes - for many dash area circuits - studded to the body metal. These sometimes lose a good ground or the several individual black ground wires get iffy for continuity. Clean it all and tighten securely. Years ago, several members, with oddball DIC problems, went to individual ring terminals on the ground wires and nutted those to the studs.

You can always do the time-honored systems re-boot by disconnecting the battery cables, touching them together for a second, clean, install, tighten. Double-check the under-seat battery ground stud at the floor pan.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent, thanks much Sub. I'll definitely give those a try if the issue returns. I assume that a little wire brushing would be all that was necessary to properly clean the connection areas?

Also, as I clearly haven't been around in a while...what prompted the site redesign??

·
66,582 Posts
Wire brushing, sandpaper, whatever. Maybe then a shot of black Rustoleum.

The site owners use the XenForo platform on their other car sites. We got mixed into the batter, too. The site was originally set up on the VBB platform when it was privately started in 2002, then the site was sold in 2012 and stayed "original" until a couple of months ago. This new platform is under constant upgrade and change using member input. Keep up with it all in the Community Help forum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Sub said that simply because electronic gremlins can be hard to track down. I HATE electrical problems, ESPECIALLY on todays cars.
Agreed Ranger, I'm kind of hoping that this was just a fluke, and it doesn't return in the future. I've never had much luck with electrical issues. My previous car, an '06 Chrysler 300C, had them CONSTANTLY. I've honestly been spoiled with my Deville, its the best car I've owned thus far. I hope I didn't jinx it somehow! ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

So it happened again. Today, just like last time, right after I filled up with gas and started my car, the same lights went on again, and the readouts went dark. It's only right after I get gas, and the next time I start the car, it's gone. Any ideas???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just don't buy any more gas and you wont have any problems. Most of the time when all gauges go crazy it's a ground problem like Submariner suggested. Why it only happens when you get gas could be the subject of a new mystery TV series. The only thing that comes to mind is that the pump nozzle is grounded and your car is somehow rerouting electrons to the pump rather than the car battery.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just don't buy any more gas and you wont have any problems. Most of the time when all gauges go crazy it's a ground problem like Submariner suggested. Why it only happens when you get gas could be the subject of a new mystery TV series. The only thing that comes to mind is that the pump nozzle is grounded and your car is somehow rerouting electrons to the pump rather than the car battery.
I see we've got a smartass on our hands haha. In all seriousness though, assuming your diagnosis is correct, and the car is somehow rerouting electrons to the pump, what would my course of action be? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hello All,

Long time since I've been here, I hope you all are well. So ironically, on the actual one year anniversary since I bought my Deville, I had my first issue with it. I've had no problems in the last 12 months, going from 97,000 to 110,000 miles. But today, out of nowhere, after filling up with gas, my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The air bag light, security light, traction light and battery light were all on, there was no readout for engine temp or fuel level, miles to empty, or mpg. It started and ran fine, but I was stunned to see all those lights at once. Drove 5 minutes home, turned it off, and started it up again. Same deal. I ran the on-board diagnostics scan procedure, but it couldn't find any info for any of the systems it checked. I ended up leaving for 5 minutes and coming back to try it again, I was going to just post this here but figured I'd try to start it again, and see if anything changed. Sure enough, I started it up, and there were no lights, all readouts were back to normal.

So my question is, anyone have any idea what the hell just happened today, what may be the issue, and if it's running fine now with no lights, should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

- Cut
I had a similar problem with my 2005 a couple of years ago...my issue was the battery was on it’s way out. Replaced the battery and the car went back to normal.

Doesn’t hurt to have your battery checked. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see we've got a smartass on our hands haha. In all seriousness though, assuming your diagnosis is correct, and the car is somehow rerouting electrons to the pump, what would my course of action be? Thanks for the help.
When I had a similar problem with my Blazer it was corrosion in the battery ground cable but it was 100 pct of the time and at a prime failure point so was easy to fix. Also don't confuse me with someone who knows what they're talking about. I do a lot of car wiring but mostly only older cars and boats.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a similar problem with my 2005 a couple of years ago...my issue was the battery was on it’s way out. Replaced the battery and the car went back to normal.

Doesn’t hurt to have your battery checked. Good luck.
By similar issue AElayyat, you mean only after you filled it with gas?

·
1998 Deville
32 Posts
Any chance of using a heavy plastic funnel when you fill up? Just a suggestion.

·
66,582 Posts
supperspoon, Your question has been moved to your own thread. Please do not hijack threads. Thanks and Welcome !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts