Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the habit of always setting my EPB every time a park the car, even on level ground. A friend recently told me that this can contribute to wearing the EPB mechanisms (motor, etc.) out prematurely, and I should only use it when parking on a slope. He recently paid over a grand to have his fixed in his BMW.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I would use it once a week just to keep it in working order or anytime you are parked on an incline. Always set the brake with foot on brake and before putting in park!

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
I wouldn't judge how long parts will last on a car based on BMW's. I had a BMW 5 series and it seemed like something broke on it weekly. That is why I bought a SRX versus a BMW X3.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
I always set my electric parking brake, perhaps I should just leave it off on level ground? When I purchased my SRX (used) from a GM dealer the
salesperson said if the brake was set just drive and it will release (which it does) but this seems like it will do wear out parts prematurely I try to release my electric park brake before I drive off but don't always remember to do so, has anyone got any experience or comments on this?

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although the brake will release, it does put a strain on it. Release, then drive.

·
Registered
2015 SRX-4 Premium
12 Posts
I just came from 2 mercedes which had the electric brake and they both could be released by slowly driving off. As for the comments on how costly to repair anything in european is expensive, hourly rate $159 on flat rate oil change of $450 yearly check up of 1-2K. My new car is 5 year bumper to bumper to bumper with 100 deductible on year 5 and 4 year service contract. I really do not see the outrageous maintenance costs on this vehicle which I experienced on the 2 mb's which I used to own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts