Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're setting record low temps here in Chicago today and my car didn't start due to the "Electronic Key Not Detected" prompt. I've had my 2008 CTS since March of 09' but haven't had a battery changed. The battery light has never come on and the car has been working fine until the cold air hit this week. Any thoughts on whether it's the physical key fob or if I should look into changing the battery immediately?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
While I don't have the cold weather thankyouverymuch, I agree with jjromano - change out the fob battery. It is definitely the cheaper path if you are wrong and it turns out to be the car battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its been very cold here in Ohio the last few days as well. Tuesday: Let my FOB in the car (single digits outside) and got the "Electronic Key Not Detected" message. Changed the battery and still got the message when leaving the FOB in the car out in the cold. Wednesday and Thursday: took the FOB inside and have not get the message at all.

It seems to me the extreme cold might have an effect on the FOB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You guys are crazy. My fob never leaves my ass pocket.

Also, I think I read in the manual at some point that putting the the fob directly into the little cubby in the center console behind the shifter gives it it's best chance at making a connection. Just a thought.

Do the other functions of the remote still work?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Its the keyfob battery. Mine would work intermittently* and I thought it was something else since it would work sometimes, but changed my key fob battery and it has worked flawlessly since.

* It would not work when I walked up to the car and pulled the handle, but it would if I hit the unlock button. Then when I got in the car would not start ("key fob not detected" warning) and would not work right away when i put it in the armrest holder, but would eventually start. All that made me think it was the RF sensor on the driver's side, but the new battery fixed everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 09 CTS, but I've changed the battery in the FOB and the car still will not start unless the FOB is in the transmitter pocket. Strange thing is that everything else works on the remote including the remote start button. If I use the remote start, once I get into my vehicle, the remote has to go directly into the transmitter pocket to start the vehicle to drive. Is it time for a brand new remote?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had some of the same issues, checked the battery and it was good. While I had the cover off I decided to clean all the contacts with some PC Board Terminal Cleaner, I did the battery, the case battery clips and the PC board contact points including the touch pads. This took about 15 minutes, put everything back together and it works like new. Probably had a bad contact somewhere.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am having same problem. Have not found the cure yet. Seems if the contacts were dirty, that none of the buttons would work. You dont have to press any buttons to start the car. Also rare that both fobs would fail at the same time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
On the cars with Remote Keyless Entry, the fob must be in your pocked or purse, inside the car. Then you step on the brake and turn the knob. Knob looks just like others except there is no key slot. While researching this problem, i read the car battery voltage must be at least 10 volts. Yesterday i took the battery in and had it load tested. It checked as good. Today it started as normal. Maybe disconnecting the battery helped ?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
When you disconnect the battery be sure to follow the reconnect procedure as outlined in your manual.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
On the cars with Remote Keyless Entry, the fob must be in your pocked or purse, inside the car. Then you step on the brake and turn the knob. Knob looks just like others except there is no key slot. While researching this problem, i read the car battery voltage must be at least 10 volts. Yesterday i took the battery in and had it load tested. It checked as good. Today it started as normal. Maybe disconnecting the battery helped ?
Perhaps by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, you effectively 'cleaned' the terminals like cawengr outlined in post #8.

On a similar note, I had this same message come up when my car was under warranty. The FOB battery was fresh and I still got the "electronic key not detected" verbage. The dealer reprogrammed my existing FOB and the issue went away.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said the remote start wouldn't work. I see said the blind man.

When I had my issue I got the Electronic Key Not Detected message but after cleaning everything up I have not had the error. You might also want to bend the two contacts from the battery clip that hits the PC board a little to assure good contact on the fob.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to resurrect on old thread, but I'm having the same issue. I have a 2009 CTS 3.6 DI and ever since I purchased the car a couple of months ago, the key FOB has never worked unless it was in the center console pocket. (Never had a non-mechanical key vehicle so I just thought that's how it worked when I first got it.). Now that it has gotten colder outside, even the pocket fails to see the key. Everything else works as far as the buttons and the keyless entry when you grab the door, it just won't allow start up until the temperature warms up. Sometimes I can jiggle the key around in the slot and it will eventually work, but not always. I've tried several new batteries in the remote, but no difference. The key FOB is always warm because it's in the house with me, so I have a hard believing the key is the problem. At one time I thought that it may be the car battery. But after finally getting it to start, I went for a ride to "recharge" the battery since I thought it may be low. As I drove around for the next half hour, I continued to get the "key not detected" warning while it was in the console pocket. At that point I knew it wasn't the car battery and the alternator was working just fine. So what can this be? Center Console antenna? Receiver?

·
Registered
193 Posts
fyi - I had this issue in warmer colder weather, 5 minutes after a drive so the chassis battery was topped off - I surmise It was the security freqs used at the local goodwill when I stopped in to scope out stereo equipment. I locked the car from the inside with the fob then was able to start just fine.

so much electronic noise out there, I am not surprised it does not happen more often....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in a rural area, so there shouldn't be much interference there. I'll definitely try hitting the lock button next time though to see if that helps.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Blackwood; I bet you have a bad FOB.
do you have one FOB or two? did you try the other FOB? If you only have one FOB, I would think you should want an extra. They cost around $130.00 from Car Key Express if you live near a metropolitan area find a company that makes the keys for the car dealers in the area. (The car dealers don't buy their FOBs from other dealers for their other brand used cars)
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
19 Participants
tinman