Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1996 Seville SLS. It looks like it was just driven off the showroom floor and has about 70,000 miles on it. I have noticed some electrical anomalies and wonder if they may be related.

1. As soon as the engine is started, the temperature indicator jumps up to the first mark. It only reads in the center at highway speeds. When in traffic or climbing a grade it typically reads at the first mark to the right of center or a bit beyond that. It never goes into the red and I have had a mechanic check the temp and he says that it is in the normal range, around 205 degrees.

2. When listening to AM radio there is significant hiss/static while the car is in motion. As soon as the car is brought to a stop the hiss stops but begins again as soon as the car begins to move.

3. About 30 days after I purchased the car, three mornings in a row the battery was completely dead. I had it checked and was told my charging system was good but the battery wasn't. The battery was not marked as to the purchase date, etc but looked fairly new. I replaced the battery with a heavy duty, 80 month battery. About one month after that we had just completed a 200 mile road trip, parked the car and 24 hours later, the battery was completely dead again. It was jump started and has been okay for the last 60 days but I now carry a power pack in the trunk.

Anyone have any thoughts about any of these issues? Could they be related?
Please let me know.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Sounds like more than one problem to me.
Number 1 may just be a coolant change
Number 2 sounds like your are picking up ignition noise, bad ground? plug wires?
Number 3 could be an intermittent short somewhere drawing power from the battery. I had a similar proble and it was my RIM box.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
climbing a grade it typically reads at the first mark to the right of center or a bit beyond that.
Have the coolant tested for the presence of exhaust gases.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Yep, the temp issue is the only one of those that concerns me. Have the exhaust gases tested and see if you notice any coolant odors or excessive steam coming from the trunk. You could have a headgasket issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts