Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Eldorado
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was a having a problem where the voltage would drop for a few seconds and then come back up. At one point when I was braking it got as low as 12.6. I have also had a problem with the climate control module not remembering my settings except for temp. I put in a new battery last year but key on engine off it has never gotten above 12 volts. A few days ago I checked codes and had a lot that were power related, I checked now and there was nothing. With all of that in mind I was thinking battery but I didn't think that would cause sudden drops when driving so now I'm thinking alternator. what do you guys think? The car has never had a problem starting but last Tuesday it did seem a little slow but that's all I've ever noticed it.

S

·
0 Posts
Voltage can start low in cold weather and can dip while driving but not to low if the cars starting normal and everything is working fine while driving i would not worry someone else will chime in on the memory settings not being remembered if u want take it to auto zone and let them test the charging system for free

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If the engine idle dropped too low the voltage will go down. Don't throw the alt under the bus until you check things out. Did you check the battery connections and grounds? It has been just a smidge cold in Minn lately. Like SG suggested, take to auto place and have them teat battery and charging system.

·
Registered
Deville
288 Posts
Like Rodnok1 said check connections also have the battery load tester. you might have a dead cell or a cell going bad in the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts