Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Eldorado, 2013 XTS Luxury
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the 2013 XTS for a month and a half and just loving it until now. The car had been sitting for a day and a half and I went to start it and the battery was completely dead. Boosted it and drove for 2 hours, everything seemed fine. Just a mystery at this point. Came back to the car 7 hours later. Same thing, battery completely dead except this time I'm 100 miles away from home and the doors are locked. Fortunately I had read the owners manual and remembered how to enter the car if the battery was dead. Got someone to give me a boost and started watching the volt gauge on the 2 hour drive home. Most of the time the gauge read 12.5-12.6 volts but would jump up to 14.5 volts for a few minutes then drop down to the lower voltage again. I tested the battery when I arrived home and it tested good. So I disconnected the battery overnite, came out in the morning and reconnected it and the car started fine. Took the car into the dealer and they say nothing is wrong. I let them keep it overnite and it started fine the next morning (today) Driving it tonight, I noticed that the voltage was reading 12.5-12.6 volts most of the time like it was before. Is this normal reading on everyone else's car or is there something wrong with the charging system. Usually an alternator charges at around 14.5 volts constantly but I'm not sure with the Caddy. I also did a ammeter check that first night home and found that the CUE backlight would turn on and off for minutes at a time 10 mins or so after turning off the ignition. Is this the way the CUE system acts when it goes bad? Not feeling confident about the car now. Anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
2013 XTS Premium Black Diamond - 2011 CTS Luxury Black Raven
108 Posts
Ok your problem might not be same as the one I experienced. but had the problem about a year ago. Came to find out that my flasher were turning all my themselves in turn killed the battery. Finally caught them on in the garage one night. Had the switch replaced and cured the problem.

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Premium
73 Posts
I had the flasher issue, too. Killed my battery dead. For a few days, while the car was recharging the battery, my dash read 12.5 - 12.7. Now,
a couple of months later, it's back to the 14.5 or so.

And (just for complete disclosure), jumping the battery caused a few computer issues: The self-leveling suspension system needed to
be reset and CUE acted like a petulant child when I asked it to do anything. Both items were promptly fixed with a trip to the dealer,
where they also changed out the faulty flasher switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't noticed the flashers going but haven't sat out there all night and watched it either. I called the dealer today about the battery voltage and they said that it is normal for the voltage to drop back once it senses that the battery is fully charged and is common with other GM vehicles. So far so good though. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury
2 Posts
Somewhat similar issues. Interestingly, this problem began after I took my 2014 XTS in for the electrical parking brake recall software update. Took it to the dealer and they said the battery had a dead cell so they installed a new battery. One week later, with the car parked in the garage with nothing powered on, without warning CUE lights up and the fan comes on at high speed blowing air out of the floor vents. This occurs randomly it seems every few hours. I will be visiting the Dealership this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that this occurred after the parking brake update as that had just been done to my car as well. Update to my problem: Battery has gone dead three more times since first post. Had it back into dealer and they suspect a bad switch on the rear door handle. It's the button you press to unlock the doors. Apparently it "talks" and wakes up the body control module which in turn drains the battery. They have to order one in, paint it and install it next week sometime. Going away on vacation for a couple of weeks so will find out when we get back.

12,821 Posts
Interesting that this occurred after the parking brake update as that had just been done to my car as well. Update to my problem: Battery has gone dead three more times since first post. Had it back into dealer and they suspect a bad switch on the rear door handle. It's the button you press to unlock the doors. Apparently it "talks" and wakes up the body control module which in turn drains the battery. They have to order one in, paint it and install it next week sometime. Going away on vacation for a couple of weeks so will find out when we get back.
Hello moppie,

I am glad to hear that you have been working with your dealership regarding this electrical concern, but I apologize for any inconveniences relating to this situation. Feel free to send me a PM with your full name, VIN, mileage, full name, phone number, and the name of your involved dealership if you would like me to provide additional support with your dealership visit. Have a wonderful evening and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts