Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my situation. 2 days ago I noticed the Service Electrical System light came on. I figured I would take it into my Cadillac dealer on Monday. I drove it about an hour later when I noticed the traction control light was stuck on and the cruise control didn't work. Now when I am driving home today from Auto zone the car completely died. I was going 25 and had just accelerated from a stop light when it stalled. Also, the other day I noticed when I tried to start the car the engine turned over but wouldn't start. I tried again and it started right up but I still thought that was wierd for a caddy. So, does anyone know what this could be? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
First thing I would do is get under the rear seat cushion and inspect the battery connections. Look for loose cables, corroded cables, and any trace of a sulphuric acid smell or evidence of acidic corrosion.

Good luck with it....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the connections look good. I read somewhere online that 2000-2002 sevilles have problems with the fuel regulator pump and some kind of sensor that can make the car stall. Anyone more ideas? O yea, I am taking this to auto zone tomorrow to have them plug it into there computer so I will be able to see which sensors are setting off the SES light.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
AutoZone can do that, but so can you.

Here is more than you wanted to know about DTC retrieval on your car...

DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville and 2000-2005 Deville with 3 buttons on the RH side of DIC

Use the 3 switches located to the right of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES
INFO RESET = NO
INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"
Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.
"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)
AMP (Amplifier)
DDM (Door Driver Module)
DIM (Dash Integration Module)
IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
IPM (Instrument Panel Module)
IRC (Integrated Radio Module)
PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
RFA (Remote Function Actuation)
RIM (Rear Integration Module)
SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat
VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)
MSM (Memory Seat Module)
TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)
RSS (Road Sensing Suspension)

last edited 12/27/04 jwd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This PCM code came up. P1574, any ideas of what it is or where I can find out. BTW, that post really helped... thanks.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
According to my DTC list, P1574 is the stoplamp switch circuit.

Try this. Clear all the DTCs and drive the car. Wait for codes to be set more than once before you take any action.

In my (limited) experience, OBDII sensor monitoring is a tremendous troubleshooting tool. But it is not (yet) an exact science.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts