Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know whats wrong with my car if i let it sit for a while without starting it all the power would cut off, now when i start it everything comes back on. When i shut it off and take the key out of the ignition everything in the dash would stay on and it starts flashing and this message comes up (service air bag). Do any of you know what could it be thanks in advance...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Probably won't matter but see if you have any active trouble codes.
Just press the off and red temp buttons on your a/c controls together and hold until your display changes.

Greencaddy98 said:
I dont know whats wrong with my car if i let it sit for a while without starting it all the power would cut off, now when i start it everything comes back on. When i shut it off and take the key out of the ignition everything in the dash would stay on and it starts flashing and this message comes up (service air bag). Do any of you know what could it be thanks in advance...

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you check the codes, write down all all codes for PCM and IPC including history.

It's a wild guess but the problem is probably with the Power Control module, the Instrument Panel Cluster or the Ignition switch inside the steering wheel column. If you find a 98 deville in a junk yard, you may be able to pull these parts and swap them out while troubleshooting. Hopefully the trouble codes will tell you what's wrong. If you go to a dealer, you may want to find out the prices of these parts beforehand.

I have rummaged through many a junkyards and found that devilles are very common and that you can get most of the parts cheap.

Greencaddy98 said:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kreeger said:
If you check the codes, write down all all codes for PCM and IPC including history.

It's a wild guess but the problem is probably with the Power Control module, the Instrument Panel Cluster or the Ignition switch inside the steering wheel column. If you find a 98 deville in a junk yard, you may be able to pull these parts and swap them out while troubleshooting. Hopefully the trouble codes will tell you what's wrong. If you go to a dealer, you may want to find out the prices of these parts beforehand.

I have rummaged through many a junkyards and found that devilles are very common and that you can get most of the parts cheap.
None of this stuff has happened before, it all started after i got my cd player installed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kreeger said:

How do you check the codes? Because i know nothing about cadillacs i used own an import and now i swtiched to a domestic and im kinda lost.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What year is your car. It might be something with the electronics from the head unit. Something might be wired wrong. I know on newer GM cars you need special adaptors to KEEP the stock head unit hooked up to your car so weird things don't happen. Also check the connections for your battery, alternator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/cadidiag.html trouble codes

If it happened right after the CD player was installed sounds like the installer might have messed up when then they tried to wire the radio to the ignition relays especially if it is a aftermarket job. Hard to say without knowing specifics. Maybe a ckt is shorted out somewhere. Hopefully a trouble code will narrow it down. There are several experts on stereo installation that visit this thread. I bet they will have a very good idea on how to locate the problem.

Greencaddy98 said:
How do you check the codes? Because i know nothing about cadillacs i used own an import and now i swtiched to a domestic and im kinda lost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kreeger said:
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/cadidiag.html trouble codes

If it happened right after the CD player was installed sounds like the installer might have messed up when then they tried to wire the radio to the ignition relays especially if it is a aftermarket job. Hard to say without knowing specifics. Maybe a ckt is shorted out somewhere. Hopefully a trouble code will narrow it down. There are several experts on stereo installation that visit this thread. I bet they will have a very good idea on how to locate the problem.
Here are some codes i got today i dont know if i got them all??

NO SDM codes
NO P2M codes
NO IRC data
PCM?
NO RFA codes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay I ran into the same problem when I had a CD player installed, I have 98 deville and it would go into sleep mode after about 6 hours. It would reset the trip, MPG etc. and the FOBs would not work. I had the cd player taken out and the factory cassette deck put back in... then I would have all type of electrical problems in the mornings. Like the FOBs wouldnt work, all the interior accent lights would flicker and finally (with the car off and keys out) I would hit the trunk button on the FOB and the antena would roll up and the radio would turn on. Okay I took it to cadillac and after 2 days and changing the stearing column ignition switch they decided it was the PCM so that was replaced. Now everything is back to normal but I dont have a CD player and thats all I wanted to begin with.

My deville has the factory cassette player (No CD or Bose amp/speakers) and I still want a CD Player - anyone have suggestions?

Warning: be careful when installing an aftermarket CD player in the stock 1998 deville it could damage the PCM and cost alot to fix (approx 800.00)

·
Registered
137 Posts
New Head Unit

To avoid damage to your PCM and to keep all your chimes and various other radio controled options functioning.
Leave the factory head unit plugged in. Turn it off, wrap it up, and bury it in the dash elsewhere. Then unplug the Active Audio Amp in the trunk run your new speaker wires from the amps harnesses. Run a new power, ground, 12v turn on, and power antena wire to your new head unit. Put the new head unit where the old one was. This install enables you car to act as if no modifiactions were made but allows you to enjoy a new CD player. I have install instructions at another post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: New Head Unit

Slick Black Cadillac said:
To avoid damage to your PCM and to keep all your chimes and various other radio controled options functioning.
Leave the factory head unit plugged in. Turn it off, wrap it up, and bury it in the dash elsewhere. Then unplug the Active Audio Amp in the trunk run your new speaker wires from the amps harnesses. Run a new power, ground, 12v turn on, and power antena wire to your new head unit. Put the new head unit where the old one was. This install enables you car to act as if no modifiactions were made but allows you to enjoy a new CD player. I have install instructions at another post.
I have a base model deville with just a cassette and no bose sound system. I was unaware of an amp in the trunk I will check for it today.
Where should I run the new power, ground and 12v, to?

·
Registered
137 Posts
?

The power antenna, 12v turn on lead, are the only useable wires from the harness that connects to the oem radio. Use T-taps to access these wires to power your new head unit.
Power Antenna & 12v turn on lead = Gray wire
Ground = Black
I created very detailed wiring diagrams for this install but when I try to post or attatch them I get a "file too big" message. If anyone has any ideas how to upload these documents (Mircosoft Word) I think it would answer alot of these posts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: ?

thanks for all the help, after playing with it for a couple of days I decided to leave the head unit in. I just have the deville and not the concours so there is very little room to leave the orginal radio in the dash. I am going to install an alpine disk changer under the passanger side dash and use an old school FM modulator... that way I still could use the steering wheel buttons, and nothing has to interfer with the cars power/electronics.
so hopfully in a couple of days I can ride deville and listen to alittle old school OutKast..... finally.
Thanks again...just try'n to play it safe... its becomming a battle to get anything to work right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a custom stereo installed in my 98 Deville, same as yours. I was having some problems. I went back to where I had the stereo installed and they had to install the original radio in a remote location in the car. After they did that the problems went away. I have a stock 12 disc CD changer that I bought for 98 Deville, that I am no longer using. If you pull back the liner in the trunk on the pass side, see if the hookup for a CD changer is there, let me know and we can arrange something to get you the changer.

jacen98 said:
Okay I ran into the same problem when I had a CD player installed, I have 98 deville and it would go into sleep mode after about 6 hours. It would reset the trip, MPG etc. and the FOBs would not work. I had the cd player taken out and the factory cassette deck put back in... then I would have all type of electrical problems in the mornings. Like the FOBs wouldnt work, all the interior accent lights would flicker and finally (with the car off and keys out) I would hit the trunk button on the FOB and the antena would roll up and the radio would turn on. Okay I took it to cadillac and after 2 days and changing the stearing column ignition switch they decided it was the PCM so that was replaced. Now everything is back to normal but I dont have a CD player and thats all I wanted to begin with.

My deville has the factory cassette player (No CD or Bose amp/speakers) and I still want a CD Player - anyone have suggestions?

Warning: be careful when installing an aftermarket CD player in the stock 1998 deville it could damage the PCM and cost alot to fix (approx 800.00)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
bump!

Wow I have been wrestling with this for along time!!!

(car goes into sleep mode after parking for few hours)

Aftermarket head unit is causing the same problem, if I go to fix it by reinstalling the factory unit, how do I avoid damaging the PCM like in the case of Jacen98?

Slick Black, you're posts and wiring diagram has been a life saver.
You mentioned that some models allow for the head unit to be plugged into a connector in the trunk somewhere to solve this problem. How can I tell if this will work for me (98 base deville, base stereo, no center speaker nor Bose) Can I just leave the aftermarket unit the way it is and plug the factory unit in the back?

My head unit is connected in the dash, I used a schosche wiring plug adapter.

Please help.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
Checkout my CD player in my 98 Deville

I never had any problems with my car except the remote door locks won't work sometimes(is this the sleep mode???) I didn't have a Bose system and I installed it myself without any problems. I disagree with the factory radio(non-Bose version) having anything to do with the car because if it does then it shouldn't work at all, not just sometimes. I do get the flicker SOMETIMES on my dash but that's only if I start the car and turn it off right away.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
same symptoms, but I think its factory radio related. The posts describe whats going on accurately.

When the remote doesnt work, do the interior lights, or power door locks work once you're in the car (but before you turn on the ignition?) Mine doesn't. I think this is what they call sleep mode.

Its a real pain to have the clock on the radio reset, not to mention radio presets.

But, like you said, interestingly it is an intermitten problem.....??

I think we;re on the right track here, I have emailed slick black cad cuz he seems to be very knowledgeable about the this, bo response though.

Did you see the other posts, threads describing the same prblem on the 98 deville, all of them were resolved by reinstalling factory unit.....what a pain.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts