Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Battery won't stay charged or has a draw on it.

After shutting the car down I've noticed that the radio will continue working and won't go off, and the air compressor keeps running. I've disconnected the compressor and removed the radio completely. I had replaced the non working stock radio with an aftermarket that I removed from my truck which I know worked fine, I never had a problem with it then.

I've noticed from time to time that the leveling light will come on while the car is off, but I had doubts that that would drain a battery.

Any help on finding the problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
twiztid92chevy said:
I have a problem and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Battery won't stay charged or has a draw on it.

After shutting the car down I've noticed that the radio will continue working and won't go off,

I've noticed from time to time that the leveling light will come on while the car is off, but I had doubts that that would drain a battery.
I bought an 89 Fleetwood a few days ago and noticed similar behavior, apparently its normal. That is, the radio stays on after killing ignition until I pull the door handle and it auto leveled while sitting with the engine off.

The battery was dead even though it had less than 2 years on a 7 yr unit.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Your car has RAP (retained accessory power). Power remained to the accessories (windows, radio, wipers etc) for ten minutes or until the door is opened. Are you saying that the power remains even after the door is opened?

The compressor is running because there is a leak in the line or in one of the rear shocks. Pressure bleeds down and the car relevels. I am not sure if that system is powered all the time but it seems to be as others have had the same problem. Maybe just a chaffed line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the radio continues to play even after opening the door. and just keeps on playing, so I just pulled it out. The stock unit never worked when I got the car.

As far as the Air, I live on a hill so the car would constantly try to level out.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
twiztid92chevy said:
Yes, the radio continues to play even after opening the door. and just keeps on playing, so I just pulled it out. The stock unit never worked when I got the car.

As far as the Air, I live on a hill so the car would constantly try to level out.
Sounds like the aftermarket stereo is not installed correctly.

Parking on an incline won't make the compressor run all the time because it's dependent on the position of the rear suspension in relation to the front suspension, not the angle of the car. If you had 500 pounds of sandbags in the trunk, or if the rear shocks are leaking air or the air lines are broken, that would make it run more, but parking on an incline shouldn't do that I don't think. The rear auto leveling system could possibly run for up to 10-20 minutes after the car is off, but if it's running all the time with the ignition off, there is some other electrical problem somewhere.

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
ELC can remain powered up for approx 40 min after car ign is OFF. RAP should not go more then 10 min OR until door is opened. when doors open, do dome lights come on?> if not check for ground. ELC does not care how high front of car is. there is one sensor connected to the LEFT REAR suspension. on a car that old, it's really easy to have a leak. sit in the back passenger seat with doors closed. if pump comes on after 20 sec, it's normal. it should turn off and not come on for a long time. you probably have a "car is leveling" (green) lamp in the information panel (right one, under CCP) if pump comes on and goes off... then comes on and goes off... you have a leak. air struts are not hard to change, and not as expensive as they use to be. as far as radio goes, if someone hooked it up wrong, you could hame done some damage to your RAP controller. keep in mind, there are TWO orange wires behind that radio... one is a 16V from the ECM/BCM *DONT TOUCH!!! and the other is a power. there may also be an orange for one of the rear speakers. check with a voltmeter. make sure your ACCESSORY isnt twisted with your 12+ otherwise your powering your RAP and it'll never turn off :)

phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts