Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4 3.6DI Black Raven
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car about few months with no issues, and I decided to buy a second key from ebay and program it. I have the 2009 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6di premium model, with keyless entry system. So I ended up programming the key that I purchased and it worked fine until I figured out the Key was registered as #4 and it didn't have the recall memory option, so within 24hrs the seat module would kill the battery, as I found out this from doing some online research. So I decided to use my original key and left the ebay key at home, and battery drainage stopped. Few days later I go on my Heater Control Panel to lower the temperature and I wouldn't go down, every button on the panel worked, heated seats are fine, cooled seats are fine, etc, navi, radio no issue, except the button to lower the temperature on driver side does not work. As I was driving the button would work, so I lowered the temperature, and few days later it wouldn't work. From there more problems occurred. As with keyless entry upon approaching the rear right door and trying to open it the pin will not go up, as there is electrical sound trying to push it up but no luck. So I figured the actutator must be bad. So again the door after few days would work normal, and then same problem. To make matters worse my driver door started to do the same thing when I approach will not open and only time the door would work properly is when I disconnect the battery for 10 min, and it would work few times and again same problem would persist. I am not sure if the battery can be the cause or there is an electrical short. Car has 76k I purchased it about 3 months but never had any issue. The voltage seems to be ok charging the battery and the levels seem steady but then again not sure if battery was ever replaced. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated as the car is out of warranty. Thank you guys for reading this long story and I am eager to hear your responses

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Stinks you are having all of these issues! I had the issue with the rear door lock actuators (both sides). Below is a thread where replacement procedure is described and part numbers for the rear door actuators. You might try replacing the battery just to see if it corrects any of these issues before digging into the work...its relatively cheap and would at least rule that out. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/528185-2008-cts-rear-door-locks-intermittent.html

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
If it's the original battery I'd start with that, likely time for a new one in any case and easy (and relatively cheap) to swap thereby ruling the battery in/out as the cause. I'm leaning towards battery because 1) the intermittent nature of the problems affecting various/random subsystems and 2) you indicated the battery had been run down repeatedly immediately prior to the problems emerging. Marginal battery also consistent with your observation a problem would disappear for awhile after disconnecting the battery for ten minutes. Does anyone know what the factory battery looked like ex: Delco with maybe a GM part number/tag or a date-of-service tag/code? You could at least do a true load test of the battery - static voltage level, charging level, etc. may appear normal even if the battery is marginal, beginning to fail.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys for your help, should I buy the AC Delco battery oem or should I try some other brand? I really hope its only the battery because if there is a short causing all of these problems it will be a nightmare to figure out.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
Think the brand is less important than the specs. You want a sealed (ex: 'AGM') battery with the most cranking & reserve capacity - these cars are hard on batteries. By your description I think there's a decent chance it's just the battery. As you note, another explanation for such intermittent failures across varying subsystems could be quite difficult to nail down. Good luck!

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
To avoid further issues choose battery with the same or little higher (but only a little 5-10%) parameters. If you put smaller battery it will be damaged soon and you can have other problems like blocking front doors, traction system errors and more... EFB or AGM technologies are the best in this case.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts
These cars are extremely susceptible to electrical issues. Like everyone has suggested, get a new battery. Nothing wrong with OEM. It has lasted 6+ years.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
It may be the battery, but then again......electrical gremlins are hard to locate. I'd take the battery out of the car and take it to Walmart for a test. If it's bad, they have the same battery as batteries+ (made in the USA) for a lower price. If you take your car to Walmart, make sure they take the battery out of the car for testing, not in the car, too many electronics to screw up.

http://instoresnow.walmart.com/EnhancedRenderContent.aspx?id=101631

The OE battery wasn't AGM, so I'm not sure I'd waste the money on an AGM. The battery in our cars lasts longer because they are located away from the engine compartment heat.

Good Luck, Marv

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a AC delco Gold 48pg, unfortunately no luck with fixing the problem, door worked for a minute after that dead again, so $153 for battery gone so far. Thev prior owner saved the service records and driver door latch was replaced, so not sure if it went dead again.The warranty on that part is until May 30, 2015 I am not sure if they will honor it since I am not the same owner of the car. Very frustrating when having no idea where to even begin looking for the problem.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Unfortunately I think I see a dealer visit in your future! It's not a good idea to keep throwing away $$ in an effort to find the problem. It could be something like a loose connection or maybe even a bad fuse box that flexes and gives you faults.

Did you have the battery tested or did you just replace it? Just wondering.

Marv

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts
Unfortunately I think I see a dealer visit in your future! It's not a good idea to keep throwing away $$ in an effort to find the problem. It could be something like a loose connection or maybe even a bad fuse box that flexes and gives you faults.

Did you have the battery tested or did you just replace it? Just wondering.

Marv
You old battery guys.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You old battery guys.
Yes, I admit my lineage, but it would be helpful to know if the battery actually failed a load test. I hate these electrical gremlins!

Marv

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt do any testing on battery, but it did look like it was never changed and for it being an 09 better have a new battery in. I honestly hate dealing with dealers, most of the time they overcharge you for things and not very helpful. My next step is ill have a local mechanic run some tests on the computer board module see if anything comes up. Maybe I pull out the fuses one by one above the battery and see if that will make difference, because I.believe that right.amount.of.electricity is.not.being.sent.to.doors.and. thats why the.front and.rear.are.not.working.properly, but then again I am.not.an electrician.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
Sorry to hear the battery didn't resolve it. Not sure pulling fuses will help. Would check obvious
connections (ex: battery ground, harnesses) are clean & tight. But be careful not to short something out
or misconnect. It does sound like the problem with the doors is consistent enough it could be demonstrated/repeated.
I hear you on working with dealers, but they have the tools that could narrow this down. Key question to start would be do you really have two lock mechanisms going south, or is it a broader electrical/computer issue. Here's a question: Do both locks act the same i.e. when it is 'working' do both locks work, and when it's 'not working' do both locks not work. If both locks perform exactly the same at a given time that would tend to rule out an issue with the individual lock mechanisms.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First the rear right door started acting up, I couldn't open it, even though the pin tried to go up and down, so I thought it would be the actuator, I didnt replace it because door worked fine again but then started acting up here and there, then my driver door went dead completely, so I disconnected the battery door worked for few times and then dead again.Driver door was repaired last year by dealer door latch mechanism $160 part and $280 labor. Also the heating control panel the blue button driver.side to.lower temperature works.whenever it.feels.like.it but most of the times it doesnt. Unless I.change driver.side.door.actuator and the rear.right.side.passenger.as well,.they are about.$130.a piece.plus.labor.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Aren't all Cadillac repairs "lifetime" repairs (we had this discussion somewhere else on this forum)? Therefore they should pay for this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dropped the car of by my local mechanic going to check.it.out tomorrow.he said bunch of.codes came up.for.the.door.module, and whatever the dealer did last on the door didn't do it correctly so its throwing off bunch of codes on his scanner tool. Ill.keep you guys updated and let you know tomorrow what has to be done, and the hvac panel I'll just purchase one in eBay as soon as it pops up, with.navi and heated and cooled.seats and heated washers, which I havent found yet.

----------

Aren't all Cadillac repairs "lifetime" repairs (we had this discussion somewhere else on this forum)? Therefore they should pay for this.
I have.no idea about this lifetime.repairs the door latch or whatever they fixed was repaired at 58k on May 30, 2014, so I called the dealership figuring I have few weeks left on warranty, and unfortunately my car has 76k and the warranty expired on the part but they never mentioned to me about lifetime repairs, causr that would save a lot since they charged around $260 or.so last time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I pulled a code P0152 which shows Bank 2 Sensor 1 issues. Did.anyone have issues.with this sensor. I have a feeling this is causing my driver door to not work as well as the rear door once in a while, and it.might mess with the temperature control button. Any suggestions please let me know I looked around a lot not that much info.

Screenshot_2015-05-11-16-12-54-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts