Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 dts
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Deville dts. It is a high mile car as it has about 250,000 miles on it.
It has a problem in that the transmission occasionally shifts very roughly (bangs into next gear) and when that happens, the key will not turn all the way off so it will not come out. The car almost shuts down in that the motor turns off and most of the electroniics go down, but there is still juice being drained in that the transmission prndl is displayed on the dash and the battery does go dead. Also the car will not turn over to star when this condition occurs.
My mechanic has spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong with no luck.
HELP.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,861 Posts
I have a 2001 Deville dts. It is a high mile car as it has about 250,000 miles on it.
It has a problem in that the transmission occasionally shifts very roughly (bangs into next gear) and when that happens, the key will not turn all the way off so it will not come out. The car almost shuts down in that the motor turns off and most of the electroniics go down, but there is still juice being drained in that the transmission prndl is displayed on the dash and the battery does go dead. Also the car will not turn over to star when this condition occurs.
My mechanic has spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong with no luck.
HELP.
===========================
sounds like a battery/voltage problem -

low voltage - and shifting/removing the key
are discussed in chapter 2 of the Owners Manual

but - the FIRST step is ALWAYS to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

1 - 2 of 2 Posts