Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 CTS Iam experiencing on going issues with the car losing power after it sits over night. I have had to charge my battery twice over night. I have had both the battery and alternator tested each one test fine. But I have also noticed that whenever I walk pass my trunk with my electronic key the trunk pops open. Any advice.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
You most likely have a constant drain causing the battery to discharge. If you want to locate the drain, you start by clipping a multimeter on the battery (it's in the trunk) and pull fuses one at a time until you find the culprit. You need to watch the battery voltage on the multimeter each time you remove a fuse. If you think the remote is causing problem start with a fuse near the trunk. You'll need to check your owners manual for the correct fuses. Otherwise take it into a good electrical show and let them hunt it down.

Good Luck, Marv

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
^ Regarding your battery going dead over night, is it possible your radio is staying on when you turn off your engine and exit the car? If that's happening your driver's door ajar switch (door open/close logic switch) may be acting up. It's quite a common issue, especially on 2008-09 model-year CTS's. The switch is integral to the driver door latch assembly. To replace the switch you must replace the door latch assembly. If this is not the issue then something else is drawing inordinate power from your battery over night.
As for the trunk popping open when you walk past the trunk with your fob - this suggests the trunk lid-mounted trunk release switch is defective/shorted out. The wafer-style switch takes just a few seconds to pry out with a small flat/slot-type screwdriver. A new switch costs about $25 at your local GM store. Before buying a new switch, disconnect the old/existing switch (at the switch) and see if that action alone resolves the issue. If the problem is still happening with the switch disconnected then the short is happening elsewhere, likely within the wiring harness for the trunk lid.
Note that your trunk lid popping open issue may be related to your battery drain issue in terms of primary cause.
/R

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,359 Posts
RAB is on track with the switch. Note, if that switch is stuck in a closed state, it is going to run the receiver 24/7 trying to find the keyfob and that will drain the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts