Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday, myself and my family, went to watch my daughter at her softball practice. After returning home, I truned off the car, and hit the trunk switch, and then the door lock switch. The car turned off, but nothing else happened. The trunk did not open, and the doors did not lock. I tried the remote, and it acted like it was dead. After about 30 seconds, the car seemed to come back to life. The trunk popped open, and the doors locked. I pulled the codes, and just about every code was in history. I had alot of codes. I reset the codes, and have not had a problem since. Anyone have an idea as to what could have happened?

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't even want to remember them. I had almost all of the modules, with at least one code, and several, with three or more. I am thinking a major system malfunction, that was only temporary. All of the codes were history, so nothing was still acting up.

Don

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
You know, it kind of sounds like what a home computer does when its memory is tied up; you click on a couple things on the screen, nothing happens, computer seems like it is locking up and then finally your commands are carried out.

I wonder if the memory in your pcm is going bad.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eldyfig said:
You know, it kind of sounds like what a home computer does when its memory is tied up; you click on a couple things on the screen, nothing happens, computer seems like it is locking up and then finally your commands are carried out.

I wonder if the memory in your pcm is going bad.
Could you elaborate on that statement for me? I am not very computer savvy, and do not understand alot. A cars PCM has a memory? I was under the impression that it was only a one way module. Just telling components to do certain things at certain times. The PCM has the capability of storing data also? Please, let me know, as you may have touched on something that needs attention. Thanks

Don

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There is programmable read only memory (PROM) in the PCM. It is the removable component of the PCM. The PROM is programmed to tailor the PCM to a particular vehicle.

Memory in any computer is kind of like short term memory in a person's brain. Have you ever forgotten something you were going to say, and then finally remembered it about an hour later?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eldyfig said:
Memory in any computer is kind of like short term memory in a person's brain. Have you ever forgotten something you were going to say, and then finally remembered it about an hour later?
Haha, more times than I care to remember. So if this situation does occur again (which I am hoping does not) would it mean that a new PCM is in order, or a new PROM? Also, how available, and accessable, is the PROM? Thanks again

Don

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A new PCM is available if needed. I do not know the price, I haven't had to change one out myself. The PCM is fairly easy to access on my car; it is under the dash on the passenger side. Your car is much newer. I am not sure if it is in the same location.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in soon. I know I have read posts before of members who have changed out theirs.

Is the PCM the problem, I cannot say for sure. It is a thought. Maybe we can more ideas of what it could be if more replies come.

·
Registered
1999 STS, 2010 CTS Sport Wagon
329 Posts
More likely either poor electrical connections at the battery or (hopefully not) in the dash or under the hood.

Sometimes a battery near the end of its life can start causing these problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts