Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My theft deterrent light wont turn off, my temperature and fuel gauges are dead, my traction control light is also on along with my ABS light. Also, nothing on my console really works either, I cant reset my trip meters or my trans and oil life percent. I'am a first time Cadillac owner and new to the forum, was just hoping if anyone had any insight as to what could be causing some of the issues. Not to mention, my alternator is charging at 15.5v which I think is pretty high. 20200129_112255.jpg 20200129_112303.jpg 20200129_112306.jpg
20200129_112255.jpg
20200129_112303.jpg
20200129_112306.jpg
20200129_112310.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Matt! Thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it, I have been doing A LOT of reading on this, and it seems to me that a lot of peoples problems were fixed by getting a new ECM. So I think you may be right brother. I hate to just throw money at parts, but I think it may be worth it..At least I'll know when its replaced I guess..Thank you again.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
628 Posts
Vinny,

I think your own advice is the best: "I hate to just throw money at parts". I think I would take it to a shop that specializes in electrical issues, have them at least diagnose it. Maybe it is the ecm, I don't think I would replace it on someone's guess. They are not cheap.

Tom

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
^this
One thing I have noticed across about 10 used cars and 30 years is that electrical connections are common weak points. For your issues, I also suspect the ECM is not functioning correctly and may need to be replaced. However, have you unplugged the ECM connectors to verify that the connections are good? I realize this is a long shot and the connections are likely good, but water/dirt can sometimes find its way into sealed connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^this
One thing I have noticed across about 10 used cars and 30 years is that electrical connections are common weak points. For your issues, I also suspect the ECM is not functioning correctly and may need to be replaced. However, have you unplugged the ECM connectors to verify that the connections are good? I realize this is a long shot and the connections are likely good, but water/dirt can sometimes find its way into sealed connections.
No sir i have not, although i have been working on cars for a long time..im not to versatile when it comes to diagnosing or electrical issues on cars..im more of a mechanical kinda guy..I was worries that disconnecting the ecm might cause problems..But then people tell me its fine..I dont even know how to take the connectors off..I see little clips on there. But really havent taken the time to see how they come off..i just got the car last monday..im going to start doing updated maintenance on it tomorrow..Oil change, Tranny change, air filters...etc..but im not to sure how to even check the commectors of the ecm..i appreciate your comment man thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vinny,

I think your own advice is the best: "I hate to just throw money at parts". I think I would take it to a shop that specializes in electrical issues, have them at least diagnose it. Maybe it is the ecm, I don't think I would replace it on someone's guess. They are not cheap.

Tom
Hey Tom, yea brother...I think that's what im gonna do, for the most part though, the car runs like a dream! Its soo smooth! The car has 50k miles! But yea iam gonna get a professional opinion by someone with a professional scan tool...Thanks so much Tom! Much appreciated for the reply..

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
I agree with silverfox that professional service may be the best approach.

For the record (and in case of future repairs such as the cam position sensors or timing chains), the ECM connectors are pretty easy to remove by rotating the metal clips away from the connector. However the clips but may have dirt/sand in the pivot points preventing them from sliding easily.

As with any electrical work, disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing nothing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts