1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I've searched and can't find a discuss about this:
1997 ETC: Once in a while, I hear a kind of grinding noise from the right front of the engine. Lately, its come on loudly for a minute or so, then goes away. Its influenced sometimes when turning left. When the noise is happening, if I hit the brakes it changes the volume of the noise.

I finally was able to get it to happen when I was stopped so I jumped out and opened the hood. The sound stopped. What the F? So I slammed the hood down, and there is the grinding noise again. Now with the sound being generated, I was able to open the hood. Very loud grinding coming from the front radiator. (Sorry for the long explaination but it was wierd)

So it sounded like the right cooling fan was making the noise. I'll check if its possible that it could be hitting something, once in while. Has anyone else had a cooling fan problem?

Moving the fan later when the car was cool didn't show much. It didn't feel like a shot bearing, but the right fan did make a little noise when I spun it in one direction.

Q1: How do bearings in these fans go bad? What symptoms do they exhibit?
Q2: Do you have to remove the top radiator hose to remove it? It looks tight like everything else in the eldo.

I'm going to check if a junk yard has one because I imaging it would be costly from the dealer.

Thanks for any advise.
Pete

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
I recently changed the alternator in my 97 SLS and found that the entire radiator fan assembly came out pretty easily. Sorry I don’t have the steps listed anywhere, but with a few easy to access bolts, the entire assembly (2 fans in a plastic housing) popped out of the lower frame without removing any hoses. There is an electrical clip that needs to come off too – again it was easy. I kept thinking if the fan(s) ever needed replacing, it should be a piece of cake to do. The question is which one? There are 2 in mine, a primary and a smaller secondary fan. Most likely it’s your primary (bigger) fan. If you need to get a new motor, Autozone or Checker Auto Parts can order them and have them to you within a day (usually). You’ll probably have to reuse the fan blade. I’m not sure if the blade is pressed on or has a bolt, but if it is pressed on, Checker Auto Parts has “loaned” me a puller by me simply purchasing an obviously used one and then they buy it back when you are done. Of course, that’s my local store and not all may do that. Be careful pulling plastic anythings (blades, pulleys) off of shafts, they can break (done that!) Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
I bet you it's your A/C compressor clutch... What happens is the bearings in the pulley start to go bad and so the pulley tilts and touches the clutch plate. When the clutch is not engaged you hear the scraping sound. If you were to turn off your A/C it would probably scrape continuously.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Q1: How do bearings in these fans go bad? What symptoms do they exhibit?
Like any bearing they go bad from use or lack of lubricant. I guess they would get noisy and or loose when they wear. If the bearing is sloppy, the blades might be rubbing the shroud or the radiator cooling fins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts