Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado ESC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Eldorado, 70,000 miles, body is mint except for a small two inch rust bubble on the right rear wheel well. See photo. My insurance recommended body shop, in business since 1947, wont touch it, saying to repair it properly would require new body panels, lots of labor, big $$, etc. Anyone ever had a similar problem that was fixed without refinancing your home? Thanks.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,358 Posts
You aren't going to find any insurance company that will touch rust. It will always come back, especially in that spot. It needs to be cut out and filled. That particular spot is from where the bumper attaches to the body. Nearly all the Sevilles/Devilles have it if the car is winter driven in a snowy area. Less so on the Eldorados for some reason, but I've noticed it.

You aren't going to get it fixed properly for under $1k, not going to happen. Mine kept coming back so I learned to do it myself and it was still time consuming and expensive. I've never been able to get it to hold up for more than a year. If that is really the only spot on the car, underside excluded; I would pay top dollar and get it addressed as soon as possible. If it is spread anywhere else, it is going to send you to the poor house.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
Yep - You're right in the middle of the Rust Belt and that's a common problem in those body areas with many cars/trucks. Pay the big bucks now or the cancer WILL spread rapidly.

·
Registered
03 SLS
14 Posts
I had a similar quarter sized bubble on the left wheel well of my 03 SLS when I bought it in the same body/bumper seam location - otherwise no rust other than some surface rust on the undercarriage. I didn't think it was much, but when I got to stripping it down to repair I ended up having to cut out a few inches of the fender edge there to get it all. From there rustoleum rust inhibitor, primer, bondo, sand/shape to the fender well flare, and touch up paint has gotten it back to presentable, if not perfect. I still need to get the proper Crimson Pearl from the dealer to put the final coat over it. A couple of hour job, maybe $20 of supplies so far and we'll see how it holds up.... 🤞

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
For your tri-coat paint kit look at www.paintscratch.com.

Paint code BC/CC (U or WA) 379 E Crimson Pearl

BUT - if the car has not been garaged then a good body shop will have to do a spectral data special mix to duplicate the slightly faded color base. Any (good) dealership will mix their own to match the car under repair.

·
Registered
03 SLS
14 Posts
Submariner409, thanks for the code and site! Looks like you are relatively nearby over on the eastern shore? I'm in Bel Air, and my 03 SLS came to me via the Philadelphia Craigslist, I'm essentially the second owner. It does look like it was probably at least carported if not garaged - the body paint is still bright, but the rear bumper covers's topside does have some fade to it. The straight up color should work well on the fender repair location. Crimson Pearl is a really fantastic color for these cars. The green on laocmo10's ESC looks great too - Cadillac definitely can do colors right!

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
Yeah - not far. Another active CF member - Harry Yarnell - is in your back yard in Perryman.

My STS (bought in 11/05) was found by a friend at Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis. They trucked it to their dealership here. Owner (original) lived on Staten island and the car was mainly used for 3 trips a year to south Florida and back. When I bought it it had just under 17,000 miles on it (currently 67,000) and we drove it quite a bit - rural and highway mostly - now the Explorer or a F-150 do gofer duty so it does a lot of garage time. I have all the original documentation as well as all service info hard copies.

LR view 08- 11.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts