Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 eldo's drivers side door panel is loose. It appears that the service technicians have broken most of the "lugs" (attachment points to the door) off. Is this a common problem? It appears to me that i will have to replace the panel. Are there other remedies for this problem? or Does anyone have an extra door panel they will be willing to part with? (its cream in color)

Thanks in advance for your time,
Arland

·
Registered
43 Posts
fattycaddy said:
My 1998 eldo's drivers side door panel is loose. It appears that the service technicians have broken most of the "lugs" (attachment points to the door) off. Is this a common problem? It appears to me that i will have to replace the panel. Are there other remedies for this problem? or Does anyone have an extra door panel they will be willing to part with? (its cream in color)

Arland
Had a similiar problem of my Eldo when I first purchased it. When I closed the driver's door the bottom of the panel was loose. Returned it for warrant work & they removed the panel & repaired the lower lugs with glue. It's been ok so far. Maybe yours can be repaired if the pieces are still in the door?

·
Registered
9 Posts
interior panels also loose...

Sounds exactly like my interior panels on my '92 ElDorado.

Looking behind the panel, I can see how they are supposed to connect correctly, but those white plastic screws are either gone and/or popped on both int. panels near the back window.

Would it do me any good to try to "pop" off the rest of the panel (special tool?) and then replace the connectors and "pop" the whole panel back on?

Something tells me that it's not that easy...?

Thanks for any help,

Jim
'92 Eldorado

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: interior panels also loose...

Hi Arland,

I have the same problem and I am doing a repair for mine as I type this. If you have the panels off, reach inside the door to see if you can find the broken hooks. I am re-attaching mine with epoxy and re-enforcing them with fibreglass. I am hoping this will work, but only time will tell. I was only able to find hooks for the passenger side door, so I will be leaving the drivers side panel with the dealer so that they can make the repairs for 6 missing hooks.

There is a service bulletin for this problem and a kit from Kent-Moore to make the repairs. The bulletin is 02-08-64-002 and the kit is Kent-Moore kit J42983. I can post how the repairs go if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Alfred
1996 ETC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

alfredgee said:
Hi Arland,

I have the same problem and I am doing a repair for mine as I type this. If you have the panels off, reach inside the door to see if you can find the broken hooks. I am re-attaching mine with epoxy and re-enforcing them with fibreglass. I am hoping this will work, but only time will tell. I was only able to find hooks for the passenger side door, so I will be leaving the drivers side panel with the dealer so that they can make the repairs for 6 missing hooks.

There is a service bulletin for this problem and a kit from Kent-Moore to make the repairs. The bulletin is 02-08-64-002 and the kit is Kent-Moore kit J42983. I can post how the repairs go if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Alfred
1996 ETC
Hi Alfred,
I just done some more work to my panels. I hope this will help you and others that are interested.
The problem is that you must " LIFT STRAIGHT UP" on this style of door panel to remove since they have an ["L"] shaped plastic lug that is part of the door panel. If you try and pry the panel out and away from the door" YOU GOT A PROBLEM THE LUGS BREAK OFF" !!!!! THERE ARE TWO[2] SCREWS THAT MUST BE REMOVED FIRST. One is at the bottom back corner of door, you need to pull back the flap to get to it. The other is inside the area where the window switches are.
I was able to find some of my broken pieces inside of the door as was suggested by "RAPID RABBIT" and used some LOCTITE "PLASTTIX" ADHESIVE. I used all of that tube and am now going to use LOCTITE 414 ADHESIVE. I sure hope its magic since GM wants approx $345 for a new panel!
My drivers side panel is also broken in the center, near the screw area and where you pull to close the door. I made some sheet metal panels with bent flanges and welded them together [not alot of straight surfaces in this area]so as to reinforce the panel. I am going to rivet that to the panel and attach with the main door panel screw. It wasnt easy making the pieces,I hope it works!
Alfred I would like to see that service bulletin, could you point me in the right direction to get it?
MANY THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!
ARLAND

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hey Arland,

I don't have access to Service Bulletins, but the dealer does and you can get them on-line from http://www.alldata.com/ but you need to be a member.

I got my panel back and the repair is very basic. They replace the broken hooks with metal ones that are glued in with a special glue. I am sure that if you can get the kit, the repair can be done by yourself. The repair looks very promising and I think that it is a stronger solution than repairing the original hooks.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers!

Alfred
1996 ETC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

alfredgee said:
Hey Arland,

I don't have access to Service Bulletins, but the dealer does and you can get them on-line from http://www.alldata.com/ but you need to be a member.

I got my panel back and the repair is very basic. They replace the broken hooks with metal ones that are glued in with a special glue. I am sure that if you can get the kit, the repair can be done by yourself. The repair looks very promising and I think that it is a stronger solution than repairing the original hooks.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers!

Alfred
1996 ETC
Hello Alfred!!!
I just finished putting my drivers side panel back on ,So far so good. It seems a lot more rigid sine I re-inforced it with the metal. Now if the adhesive holds on the lugs I that I repaired ,I will be in good shape! Thanks a millon for the info above ,if I have more problems I know where I can buy the hooks. I made several for my door out of metal and am sure it would be alot easier to buy as long as they are reasonable.
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Arland

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
fattycaddy said:

Arland
Ah, I bet you have some broken tabs. The Cadillacs do not use a traditional 'push clip'. These get broken all the time by idiot caddy techs. There is a repair kit available just for this issue. Try Kent Moore tools @ 1-800-GM-TOOLS.

Logan

·
Registered
6 Posts

alfredgee said:
Hi Arland,

Cheers!

Alfred
1996 ETC
Hi Alfred

I have exactly the same problem as described above. So I am very interested to the bulletin 02-08-64-002 and the kit (Kent-Moore kit J42983). Can you please sent or post the information.

Thanks,
Eldorider

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hey Eldorider,

I wish I had more info, but I don't. I ended up letting the dealer do the repair because I could not find anyone that carried Kent-moore stuff in Canada. To cut costs, I removed the panel for the dealer and I re-installed them myself. Like I mentioned earlier, they glued in new metal hooks where the old ones broke off. If you can get the kit, I am sure it is self explanatory. Drop by a dealer with the bulletin number and the kit number, maybe they will sell you the stuff or give you a good deal.

Cheers!

Alfred
1996 ETC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
alfredgee