Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put my mp3 desk into my 96 Eldo. I can't really find a dash kit for the car, I did manage to find one for a 96-99 Deville, will this work in the Eldo? Also, will I have to put the factory radio in the trunk for any reason? The kit can bee seen here:

http://www.installer.com/kits/index.html

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
Yaemish said:
I would like to put my mp3 desk into my 96 Eldo. I can't really find a dash kit for the car, I did manage to find one for a 96-99 Deville, will this work in the Eldo? Also, will I have to put the factory radio in the trunk for any reason? The kit can bee seen here:

http://www.installer.com/kits/index.html
OK, my 2cents is as follows. I own a 1997 Seville STS and a Pioneer DEH-9300. I wanted the radio installed into the car and to do so I needed kit. Well, to my dissapiontment I found there is not one available. I looked for two months while suffering with the factory radio. I ended up going to the local Audio Express because I thought they would do a good job. They charged my $350 for alot of nothing. The factory radio has a curved face on it, they told me they would make a plate with the same bend and curves to go where the factory unit went. They didnt, they just cut a piece of plastic and glued it in there. I ended up fixing it myself.

So my opinion is do some research and find a good audio shop to do this job. It should cost less then $200 from what I have been told now from a more reputable shop. Also watch for them to break your trim pieces. I found the shop broke my wood trim piece on my console, the black nickel trim piece that surrounded it, my ashtray, my heater mount tabs and the harness that the factory radio used. They wouldnt fix it because they as con artists. They tried to superglue most of the stuff and when that didnt work they used some black epoxy. Nothing worked at all until I took the time and fixed it right. The cost of repairs would have been about $725 for the replacement parts. So just be careful when you get this job done, but done right it looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one for a Deville online, isn't the radio setup the same?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
Yaemish said:
I found one for a Deville online, isn't the radio setup the same?
I didnt try the same kit your looking at, but the kit I got for the newer deville didnt fit the Seville. I wouldnt think it would work in the Eldorado either. Keep in mind I wasnt willing to modify the kit when I started. I waited until I shelled out over 200 dollars to become creative.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did ou fabricate your own kit? How difficult was it?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
Well, fabricating yourselft a kit is much easier than you think. If you give me a day I can try and post a picture of my fabrication.

I basically started with a 1/4" piece of ABS plastic a quarter inch larger than the cutout of the radio hole. Then I trimmed it until it fit the hole perfectly. Then I took a piece of steel roughly 14"x1"x3/32". I fastened it to the factory bracket and then screwed the ABS plate to that plate, you should use screw covers to make the install cleaner.

The job I did was easy and cheap. If you want to take more time you can add some really good items to the mount. I also have enough room for my bass controller and my amp switches in the same plate. Its a really big plate for a din style radio. Try to go with the head unit with the least depth, that was the only issue with the Pioneer. It was almost too deep.

Hope this helps, I will try to post some pics soon. Just stay tuned.

Yaemish said:
Did ou fabricate your own kit? How difficult was it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up the kit for a Catera and tought I would give tha a try. The size for the face fits perfectly, mounting is gong to me a problem becuase the Catera doesn't have the info center or temp controls set up the same way. When I pulled the stereo out (talk about a bitch) I saw that it had a steal bracket running up and down each side that also connects the temp control. I am thinking that I should somehow take those brackets and mount them to the kit so tha it fastens the same way. Any suggestions? Could you give me some pictures of your setup? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Yaemish.. I have a 1993 Eldo that i put in a Alpine CDA-9811 I was having a few problems with that aswell..I did do some searching and found the correct Dash kit...i got mine from Circuit City for 17 bucks..I am not sure what your dash looks like but if it is anything like mine or even exactly like mine..then the kit you found at installer.com should do the trick..I know it says from 93- 95 but hey they may not be caught up yet..Remember that there is the factory tuner that is in the trunk, you are going to have to bypass that with a harness that costs 88 bucks( again i got mine at CC..for 46.00...they had no clue how much to charge me so they just guessed and used that figure because that is about the highest price for a harness they carry..LOL i lucked out)..The harness is about 17 feet long with RCA's, power lead, neg, pos.that will run up to your deck and plug in correctly..and it even intergrates the factory amps..I did my research beforehand and even had to tell CC where to get the stuff and the P/N's..I wasn't going to get reamed like prplwgn did.The stereo shops around here said that i had to re-wire my whole system and bypass the tuner and the amps..Which was only partly true to the tune of about 200 bucks which i saved by not having them do it..I will get some pics of my car and stereo and then you can tell me if it is the same...Hope this helps you out some and if not you have it for future reference..Good Luck !!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks but our stereo kits are going to be completely different. One thing you did mention is that the tuner is in the trunk, I have the non bose system in my 96, is he tuner still in the trunk?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
anothercaddiowner said:
Hey Yaemish.. I have a 1993 Eldo that i put in a Alpine CDA-9811 I was having a few problems with that aswell..I did do some searching and found the correct Dash kit...i got mine from Circuit City for 17 bucks..I am not sure what your dash looks like but if it is anything like mine or even exactly like mine..then the kit you found at installer.com should do the trick..I know it says from 93- 95 but hey they may not be caught up yet..Remember that there is the factory tuner that is in the trunk, you are going to have to bypass that with a harness that costs 88 bucks( again i got mine at CC..for 46.00...they had no clue how much to charge me so they just guessed and used that figure because that is about the highest price for a harness they carry..LOL i lucked out)..The harness is about 17 feet long with RCA's, power lead, neg, pos.that will run up to your deck and plug in correctly..and it even intergrates the factory amps..I did my research beforehand and even had to tell CC where to get the stuff and the P/N's..I wasn't going to get reamed like prplwgn did.The stereo shops around here said that i had to re-wire my whole system and bypass the tuner and the amps..Which was only partly true to the tune of about 200 bucks which i saved by not having them do it..I will get some pics of my car and stereo and then you can tell me if it is the same...Hope this helps you out some and if not you have it for future reference..Good Luck !!
I'm impressed you found a harness for your Caddy. Unfortunately the radio in the 92-95's are completely different than the radio's in the 96-up years. They completely redisigned the radio to have a curved face bezel. The whole radio has a form fitting curvature and doesnt fit in a square or rectangular hole. This was my problem when I went to look for a kit and all I could find was the 92-95'. I attached a photo of a 1996 radio. You can see the bezel has some soft curves on the sides of the radio.

Sorry I havent had time to post my photos of the radio install. I have been working serious overtime. I will try to post asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate it. Our tuners are in the front correct? So as long as I can mount this and all, it should just be a standard install?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well i am not sure if it has to do with it being a bose or non bose system. I think that it is just a Caddi thing..Who knows...but there is one sure fire way to see if the tuner is in the trunk..Take your deck out and see if you have a Antenna lead..If you do..then there is no need for the harness...if not then you will need one..i have yet to find one that is for a 96 and up...of any style of Caddi..You might be outta luck to go the cheaper route with that..You may have to get it re-wired so it is possible9 just what prplewgn had to do..Or wait some time and hopefully the aftermarket will catch up..LOL You peaked my interests so i am off to scout out the possibilities...Next post i will show you my install on my deck..although it will just be the dash and deck...but you can get the idea..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pulled the stereo out the other day and put it back in. For the life of me I can't remember if there was an antenna connection or not. I think I may have found a way to mount the stereo using a Catera kit. I am going to hold off on putting it in because I need to know if the tuner is in the trunk.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
Yaemish said:
I pulled the stereo out the other day and put it back in. For the life of me I can't remember if there was an antenna connection or not. I think I may have found a way to mount the stereo using a Catera kit. I am going to hold off on putting it in because I need to know if the tuner is in the trunk.
The antenna is on the front deck. I know because when I installed the pioneer in my Caddy the tuner plugged into the radio just like a typical install. I eliminated the Bose speakers/amps/cd changer/rear control module on my Caddy because the bose amps didnt put out a clear enough signal for my taste. Im extremely picky so installed aftermarket amps in my Caddy with a custom made aluminum amp rack I constructed after the head unit fiasco turned me off of stereo shops. Pictures still pending. :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey, check out this kit right here:

http://bestkits.com/bk_kits_main.htm

If you got the curvy radio, this should do 'er. I can't guarantee anything, but hell, for $20, your better off getting that and not having it fit than having some local shop chop your interior. :(

I was looking at this for my Seville until I just decided to stay with the stock system.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well here is the site you can go to for the pics of my deck install..They are awfully big, not sure how to cut them down to a maximizable size..Sorry for the smudges..I also named two of them the same LMAO..When i went out to take the pic of the Antenna, i either inadvertently pushed too hard on the rear truck mechanism and now it will not " pull shut" SHIT!!!! Oh well who needs a trunk lid anyway,LMAO hope this site works...if it doesn't i will make it work somehow...Oh the pic if the antenna, the silver box behind the antenna assembly is the TUNER.. http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc...case.yahoo.com/

Update 1: I went there just now and it works...If the pics are too big then you can right click and click Show picture..it should bring it to a smaller size, makes it much better to see an overall view...One more update to come...I will take the antenna pic to paint and point out where it is and what it is attached too...

Update 2: The antenna pic is now there with a explanation of the wires, tuner location, factory plugs, harness plug...Sorry this one is not minimizable...I am new to the uploading of pics and all that..hope that it gives you an idea..

P.S..You can also go to the trunk and see if you see an antenna plug..If you do then well...that is where the tuner is.. Hope you like my deck..IT ROCKS!!!

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
banstyle said:
Hey, check out this kit right here:

http://bestkits.com/bk_kits_main.htm

If you got the curvy radio, this should do 'er. I can't guarantee anything, but hell, for $20, your better off getting that and not having it fit than having some local shop chop your interior. :(

I was looking at this for my Seville until I just decided to stay with the stock system.

Good luck!
Dude, that looks promising. I may just order one to see if it works. Its only 20$. Hella sweet dude. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is the same kit I ordered. It looks like it is going to fit well. I will post some pics of the install. To sum it up, I am going to secure the radio to the top where the cd holder is by putting some wood covered in foam to make up for the space (the foam will keep it from ratteling) Then I am going to use electric tape to secure it. The side mounting doesn't line up with anything so that will be removed. I plan on using the same securing methos to secure it t othe temp controls and use the existing brackets to hold the radio in place.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone know what wiring harness I am going to need? Will I need an antenna adapter?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
47 Posts
Yaemish said:
anyone know what wiring harness I am going to need? Will I need an antenna adapter?
The antenna adapter you need is a standard GM to aftermarket adapter. They run about 10 dollars. They take the much smaller GM factory connector and make it fit the much larger aftermarket ones. They are VERY common. The wiring harness is available for your application, but I wasnt sold one when I had my radio installed so I dont know what number it is.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts