Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Eldorado has a hairline crack in the plastic radiator tank so I am having it replacemed and the coolant flushed (duh).

My question resides around the coolant and I am having a tough time deciding what to do. When I purchased the vehicle it had the plain Jane Green silicate antifreeze. I plan on using Zerex G-05 as I am very leary of Dex-Cool and since my coolant system is coated in silicates now, is there really a point to going back.

Any reason not to use G-05?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Use either DEX-COOL or all makes/all models green/yellow coolant. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Personally I use Prestone.

Mix with distiller water, not tap.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Yep - A few years ago I shifted to the Prestone bright yellow "any engine any coolant any make" coolant in a 60/40 mix.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Mine's about due. Once the weather warms up.

----------

Sub, you still siphoning some out of the surge tank periodically?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Yep. Every 3 months, out comes 2 quarts into a tropicana OJ jug. I use a 4 foot length of 3/16 vacuum hose, pushed all the way down to the surge tank connection with the piping T. Takes a bit of finagling, but that allows you to remove 2 quarts. So, I basically exchange a gallon of coolant every year (in steps) and the fresh charge keeps the additive package up to snuff. Been doing this for about 5 years now and the coolant is crystal clear. NOTHING, no cloudiness whatsoever. I started this anal drill about 14 months after a complete dealership coolant exchange with DEX-COOL.

I used up the rest of the silver jug of DEX on the exchange after this one, and next time, changed to mixing in the "any make" Prestone bright yellow long-life coolant at 60/40. By now the coolant that siphons out is decidedly more yellow than orange.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts