Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a very clean 80's model Cadillac, around 60K miles, well serviced and pampered .... but with the HT 4100 4.1 engine. I have heard so many negatives about this engine. Should I avoid the 4.1 engine? There are other Cadillacs (and other makes) that I like from the 80's/early 90's that do not have the 4.1. What would you recommend? Avoid the 4.1? Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
I am interested in a very clean 80's model Cadillac, around 60K miles, well serviced and pampered .... but with the HT 4100 4.1 engine. I have heard so many negatives about this engine. Should I avoid the 4.1 engine? There are other Cadillacs (and other makes) that I like from the 80's/early 90's that do not have the 4.1. What would you recommend? Avoid the 4.1? Thanks!
The HT4100 was not one of the better Cadillac engines for the main reason that it was undersized / underpowered for a Cadillac. It really depends on which year you're interested in. The HT4100 first came out in 1982 - it had 125 HP. As the years went on, Cadillac did make some improvements and they did increase the horsepower a little bit in the later versions ('87 was the last year that the HT4100 was offered).

It also depends on the model that you're interested in. The early '80's Eldorado and Seville were smaller and lighter than the early '80's Devilles/Broughams. I always felt that the HT4100 was way undersized for a large car like the '82-'84 Deville/Brougham. Again, the last couple of years that engine was offered, Cadillac did start producing smaller cars (i.e. the '85 Deville was downsized and the '86 Eldo and Seville were even smaller), so it probably wouldn't be a bad choice for those year Cadillacs. And again, Cadillac did make improvements to that engine in the later years that it was offered.

So it really depends on which model and year Cadillac you're interested in.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
IF the car has been well maintained, and you really like it, I'd say go for it. Keep in mind that irrespective of the engine, you're still dealing with a highly complex 20-25 year old car and all that goes with it. I've driven both the pre-downsized Eldo and an aunt's 87 FWD Fleetwood, both with the 4.1. It's no racer in any form, but it does do better in the downsized cars, in the Eldo's case, 1986 or 87. In the 79-85 style Eldo, it gets the job done....eventually....but no more than that. Good luck.

Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts