Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my current car and am looking for a Eldorado. I have seen a few in pictures but am not sure in what exact years did the body styles change. I also want to know what years should I look out for. Any certain troubles with a certain year etc. Any help would be greatly sppriciated.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
Wicho said:
I am selling my current car and am looking for a Eldorado. I have seen a few in pictures but am not sure in what exact years did the body styles change. I also want to know what years should I look out for. Any certain troubles with a certain year etc. Any help would be greatly sppriciated.
It all depends on what you consider body style change.

1992-2004 the basic body style did not change at all to the casual observer. Only a Cadillac enthusiast can recognize the subtle differences.

1986 -1991 Also known as the baby or boxy Cadillac's due to their diminutive size and shoebox look in relation to the former years. Very subtle differences until 1992 new body design.

What to look out for?

No matter what year model or how many miles it shows on the clock, if the maintenance records are not up to date or if you can not pull up a detailed maintenance history on the car, forget it! There are plenty more to look at that do have the documentation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me give you an example on what I mean by body style. I have a 97 Deville. My particular body style was only made 1997 through 1999 then in 2000 they change. Now in 2005, they came out with a new body style for the devile. I know about the baby caddys but what I meant is in subtle differences i.e grill size etc because from the pics I've seen some years look different. It might be the color of the car that has me confused since some eldos have a painted grill. Any additional help would be appriciated and thank you in advance

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wicho said:
Let me give you an example on what I mean by body style. I have a 97 Deville. My particular body style was only made 1997 through 1999 then in 2000 they change. Now in 2005, they came out with a new body style for the devile. I know about the baby caddys but what I meant is in subtle differences i.e grill size etc because from the pics I've seen some years look different. It might be the color of the car that has me confused since some eldos have a painted grill. Any additional help would be appriciated and thank you in advance
Bear with me...this should be darn close -

1992: New body style introduced. 4.9L V8 engine is only one offered.
1993: Northstar is introduced and is offered on the ETC.
1994: Both Eldorado and ETC offer the Northstar V8, only difference being gearing and power ratings of the engines.
1995: First major freshening of the model. Interior remains the same as previous years, but exterior is much nicer. Smoother lines from redesigned grill (ETC painted to match car, Eldo is always silver), front and rear bumpers as well as new chrome and painted body moldings all around. ETC / Eldorado offer new, but separate wheel designs - a sharp 7-spoke job for the ETC and a wierd-looking, crab-like thing on the Eldorado.
1996: Interior completely redone - huge improvement. Wheel options unchanged. Horsepower ratings bumped on engines.
1997: No major changes. ETC now comes standard with new 8-spoke wheel design. Eldorado now offered with ETC's previous 7-spoke design (thankfully).
1998: No major changes. Sadly, the gorgeous Pearl Red color is dropped from Cadillac line-up. It's replaced with the lighter Crimson Pearl which still looks sharp.
1999: No major changes. Cashmere and Sterling colors introduced.
2000: ETC now sports a monochromatic paint scheme with color-matched moldings. 8-spoke wheels dropped and 7-spoke design, circa '96 & '97 STS are now standard on ETC. Eldorado becomes 'ESC' but with no major changes. N* tuned to develop max power on 87 octane fuel.
2001 - on: Until it's discontinuation, I don't believe there were many further changes to the car. At this point, it was well known that the Eldo would be dropped in favor of the forthcoming XLR.

Basically, the differences between a '96-'99 Eldo or ETC would be difficult to detect unless you look at the VIN. If you can afford it, a 2000 or newer ETC will definiitley give you the meanest look with its monochrome paint scheme and 7-spoke wheels. For my money though, I'd look for a clean '97 ETC, knowing that this is probably the best compromise between performance, stylishness, affordability and N* evolution.

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
sjwoodruff,

An excellent reply and your efforts are appreciated. However, I'd make two changes under "1995."

I'd change "Eldo is always silver" to "ESC is always silver."

Secondly, I'd delete "wierd-looking crab-like things." I got 'em and I LIKE them. In fact, I've received many compliments. :) :) :)

Oh well, no accounting for taste . . . . :rolleyes:

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
161 Posts
Didn't mean to offend on the rims Warren...

The 'ESC' moniker wasn't officially used until the 2000 model year. A quick look at the trunk lid, or a window sticker will verify this. Now, that's not to say that some enterprising Caddy owners haven't applied the ESC nameplate to previous model year Eldo's...

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
sjwoodruff said:
Didn't mean to offend on the rims Warren...

The 'ESC' moniker wasn't officially used until the 2000 model year. A quick look at the trunk lid, or a window sticker will verify this. Now, that's not to say that some enterprising Caddy owners haven't applied the ESC nameplate to previous model year Eldo's...
No offense taken on the rims. Well sorta . . . . maybe . . . . :crying:

I'd have to agree with you on the technical point regarding the "ESC" moniker, however it has been colloquially applied in retrospect to older non-ETC Eldorados of this generation to such an extent that it seems to have gained a real foothold.

Try telling your auto insurance agent you've just purchased a 1999 Eldorado. The very *first* question you're gonna hear is, "It's not an ETC, is it?" Followed by, "Please tell me it's an ESC."

It happened to me when I bought the '95!!

Regards,
Warren :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts