Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2001 Eldorado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My Cadillac Eldorado 2001 fuel gauge is not providing an accurate fuel quantity information. When the fuel deposit is half full, the fuel gauge, showing that is almost full of gas or the opposite - it is not accurate. Should I replace the whole fuel pump/floater or the fuel filter or the gauge itself only? The car has just 103,000 mile on.

Also, I was told that it might be not possible to buy a new fuel pump/floater, if that is the problem, since it is an old model.

Kind Regards,

Spyros

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,060 Posts
this is NOT an uncommon problem -

SOME have had success by adding a 20oz bottle of TECHRON fuel system cleaner -

MOST end up replacing the fuel pump assembly -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,937 Posts
The problem is usually excess sulfur deposits on the level gauge resistance strip - see the pictures in the below link. The suggestion to try a jug of TECHRON is worthwhile as the stuff is supposed to eat those deposits.

Otherwise, it's fuel tank drop and pump assembly replacement. Here's a link to pumps - replace the whole unit as the pump itself is also on borrowed time.

Airtex, UltraPower, DELPHI, Spectrum, "AC Delco" (made by any of the foregoing) - all good choices. One or more brands may have an upgraded HD electrical connector that gets spliced into the wiring harness - wiring diagrams included. Click the INFO tab and look at the various pictures.

The fuel tank drop is NO fun.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
I've also had sender issues. Upon disassembling the sender (nothing to do?), I've found not oxidation, but worn or broken slider fingers.
I simply reset the trip odometer, fill the tank, and when I reach 250-275, I'm almost out of gas.
Dropping the tank is a REAL PITA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts