Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took off the door panels.

They have 8 plastic hooks. The driver's side had 5 of them broken!

Both sides had been repaired, since I found the metal hooks glued in (a few of them failed too).

The screw housing on the bottom outer corner of the panel was broken as well.

Here's the parts list:

1)Stanley (or other brand) corner braces (L brackets)
(1", 1.5" and 2", depending on location)
2)#6 x 3/8" screws
3)QuikSteel putty
(like JB weld, but high-temperature, quick hardening, and cheaper)

tools: needle nose pliers, regular pliers, phillips head screwdriver

The hooks on the bottom are replaced with the 1" bracket, one screw holds them in place, and Quiksteel reinforces it

The Other hooks, are replaced with the 1.5" with screws

The hook on the middle (vertically) and toward the rear (back of the car) of the panel, is repalced with the 2" bracket

The repair took a couple of hours, bending the brackets (And cutting to length with a Dremel as necessary).

I went to a hardware store, took them the screw that goes on the bottom (toward the rear) corner, and requested two, twice as long. I got the largest washer that would fit it, to fill the hole (missing material).

The end result--very solid panels--inexpensively!!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iametarq said:
do you have any pictures of this? i'm curious to exactly what you did. I'm having a hard time putting together a mental picture. :thepan:
Sorry, only Eldo owners!

Attached is a picture from the service manual, with a picture of the corner brace, superimposed. Imagine using these braces in creative ways, cutting, and bending them to the correct length.. screwing them in with the little screws, then putting putty on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
An update, 2nd Eldo had 5 broken clips on each door panel! These are $600 panels, if you can even find them.

The repair consisted of using gorilla glue (wear gloves) L brackets, cut to size with a bolt cutter, and screws. I bent them with pliers as needed (copy the original design from unbroken clip). Pics pics pics:

The water beads are from gorilla glue (you must wet one side), and be very careful that it doesn't get on your hands. I learned the hard way that it really does stick... for weeks... wear gloves.

You apply the glue, mist with water, then screw in, in lieu of clamping.

Voilá... this is the equivalent of using studs on your northstar HG repair... the doors become super sturdy and tight/quiet

PS, Tarq, I said "sorry only Eldo owners" because those are the most prone to breaking off, due to the heavy doors.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
This fix looks like a lot of work. I have given this subject much thought and consideration, and here is what I think will work much better - tighter- and easier.

When I remove the door panels in December to install Dynamat, I will repair the broken hook problem with industrial-grade Velcro. On the door itself I will apply adhesive back Velcro loops, and use a series of sheet metal screws with a fat grommet to afford additional holding power, since in the hot, 100 degree sun in Texas (becoming 150 degrees in the car) may soften the adhesive and allow it to pull away. On the door panel itself I will put the Velcro hook strip and use additional contact cement to add holding power. This should hold the door panels in place, and not show at all.

Right now when I close the driver's door the panel moves away from the door nd then back. I once tried super glue, but it didn't last.

I will take pictures as I do this. :bouncy:

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
I must have gotten lucky?
The Woman of the house came home complaining about the passenger door ratteling.
I pulled the door panel off and found the same problem as original post.
Luckely all the pieces were in the door...Just had to fish/feel them out then puzzle them back.
I have used putties to repair. But have been having good results with instant glue for plastic. I do use a pvc cleaner to start with.

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
I did my 92 Eldo door panels a couple years back with the metal L brackets and screws. Works fine. Most crazy glues don't work on plastic. Hobby shops (RC planes, cars, etc) sometimes carry a special crazy glue made to work on some soft plastics. It doesn't work on a lot of plastics though, specifically like the screw mounting posts inside the side view mirror pods. I also have used with some success the purple etch and the glue for pvc pipes on some kinds of soft plastics. I didn't try any kind of glue on mine though.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gorilla glue is super powerful, it expands so you have to clamp it (or screw it). If it gets on your hands or fingernails it won't come off...

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado, 2003 Escalade EXT, & 1996 Sedan DeVille
33 Posts
Thanks for the tips here on the door. My 01 has the same issue with the broken plastic hooks. Next time the panel is off I'm going to fix this.

·
Registered
'97 Eldorado
38 Posts
Good idea. I picked up a door panel off the local craigslist (my original has a nice tear) and most of the mounting tabs are broken. I'll give this a shot, maybe use a good two part adhesive. Thanks

·
Registered
92 El Dorado
127 Posts
Good ideas here.
Has anybody found a laminate to place over the black plastic strip that lies over the panel parallel to the glass?
Mine have fine hairline cracks. I have seen other panels and trim in junk yards and that trim is very thin and gets brittle. Thus the hairline cracks.

I envision the easiest solution would be to find some black laminate and glue it over the original w/o removing the original.

Any ideas ?

Good thread !!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anybody found a laminate to place over the black plastic strip that lies over the panel parallel to the glass?
Mine have fine hairline cracks. I have seen other panels and trim in junk yards and that trim is very thin and gets brittle. Thus the hairline cracks.

I envision the easiest solution would be to find some black laminate and glue it over the original w/o removing the original.

Any ideas ?

Good thread !!
Are you referring to the rubbery liner "sound insulator"? Mine is also falling apart, I took it off my first Eldo, bc it was like a jigsaw puzzle with 60% of the pieces missing. Let me know what you find!

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado ESC
9 Posts
All,

Like every owner of an 2001 Eldo, I too had to deal with the loose door panel problem caused by the poor design and weakness of the plastic hooks. After reading this and some other posts on the subject, I decided to try the velcro fix. Here is how it worked for me:

I bought what is labeled "Extreme" velcro which comes in 1" by 4" strips and is apparently intended for applications which require more adhesive strength and a better lock between the two surfaces. I first cleaned both surfaces with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol. Second, I cut several of the pieces in half lengthwise so I had 1/2" by 4" strips. Third, I made sure that the door was hanging properly on the metal clips along the top of the door and the handful of plastic hooks that remained intact. Fourth, I worked my way around the door with the Velcro strips. Once all were in place, I applied quite a bit of pressure to get the adhesive too seal tightly.

I also employed the same process with smaller pieces to tighten up the plastic inset around the door handle and power lock assembly.

I have to say I am really happy so far with how it turned out. When I pull the door closed, I don't have the door panel pulling apart from the door itself (and the inset stays tight also). Likewise, when I close the door, I get that nice solid sound you want not the rattle of the panel against the door. I will have to see how the adhesive holds, but assuming it does, this appears to be one of the simplest (and inexpensive) ways to fix this common problem. (It is also particularly nice for guys like me who love Cadillacs, but are not mechanical wizards like some of the members of this forum! :cool:)

I will post again in a few months regarding how well the fix holds. Meantime, I think I'll take the Eldo out on the highway for some WOT therapy!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS
1,277 Posts
There's something called 3M Dual lock - it's a lot stronger than normal velcro. May be worth considering.

·
Registered
99 ETC
343 Posts
Is there a illustration that shows exactly where the clips are attached to the door? And are they screwed in or hook over something on the door? None of the above shows this.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,929 Posts
On the door there's 4 holes on the bottom, 3 pop/pressure clips on top, 1 in the middle by the door jamb, and 2 by the other side. Once the clips on the panel are repaired, you install the panel by mounting it to the bottom holes first, then gently but firmly line up the remaining one, and finally pushing down for the top ones to pop in place

1 - 20 of 22 Posts