Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
seville 96, Catera 97, eldorodo 97
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Eldo 97 is stalling once in 10 to 12 days at traffic light. I am thinking of changing crank position sensor. Any idea where is it located. How many are these (one or two). Is there any link that provides procedure to replace it. I will highly appreciate the info please.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
There's two sensors, A+B, they are above the oil filter adapter. You have to remove the oil filter adapter to access them. You'll need to get the two o-rings for the adapter. I would also replace the oil pressure switch while you have the adapter off. The part # for the adapter o-rings is 3543719. Dealer item.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
97s are not known for issues with the crank sensors... I'd start elsewhere. Are there any codes? TB and air filter clean? EGR working OK?

·
Registered
seville 96, Catera 97, eldorodo 97
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses.

I have recently changed air filter. What is TB? How do I check EGR if it is working fine. Also I noticed that Walmart Auto provides Fuel Injector service. Any idea if it may help to avoid stalling of car at the traffic light. I have reset the 3 PCM following codes today so that I can see what code shows up once car stalls again.

P0300 History (P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected)
P0603 History (P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset)
P1599 History (P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected

Thanks
John

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
TB = Throttle Body. Clean it.
If the EGR were malfunctioning, it would set a DTC.
Forget the injector service. Not likely the problem.
Start with a good TB cleaning. That is most likely your problem.

·
Registered
1990 Sedan DeVille, 1999 DeVille Concours
48 Posts
I have been monitoring this thread because my '99 Concours has stalled on me a few times. I only have the P1599 code right now. My battery has a few years on it ( about 6 ) and I was thinking of replacing it. My tach will fluctuate between 400 and 900 rpm if I coast down a hill at low speeds, but usually hold steady about 700 once I stop. I have noticed that my throttle plate is sticking on cold mornings, so I will clean that tonight.

I am most interested in the Tech Tips subforum that was mentioned. Where do I find that as I can't find it in the main list???

BTW, my Concours has 141K on it, second engine, second tranny, both of which have about 65K on them now.

Glad this message board is here.

Don

·
Registered
03 STS, 97 STS, 58 Eldo
275 Posts
Thank you for the responses.

I have recently changed air filter. What is TB? How do I check EGR if it is working fine. Also I noticed that Walmart Auto provides Fuel Injector service. Any idea if it may help to avoid stalling of car at the traffic light. I have reset the 3 PCM following codes today so that I can see what code shows up once car stalls again.

P0300 History (P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected)
P0603 History (P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset)
P1599 History (P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected

Thanks
John
You need to repair misfire first..New plugs and check the wires...no crank sensor codes there you are most likely stumbling when you come to a stop. SO no need for crank sensors now but you are on the right track...

Dgilbert

when you clean that throttle body take off the IAC and clean that to that will help your idle...

·
Registered
1990 Sedan DeVille, 1999 DeVille Concours
48 Posts
I just finished with the thorttle body cleaning. It was looking pretty bad. I ot as much as I could, but I still saw there was more carbon in there. I will have to get to it again when I have more time. I did notice that there was a ton of buildup inside the intake manifold. I could see it clinging in there. Looked really bad. I don't understand why as I run 93 octane.

You mentioned cleaning the Idle Air Controller. Is that a stepper motor type like the one on my '90 DeVille or is it a sensor type? I am not sure where the IAC is located on my '99 and I don't have my service manual handy to look it up. If it is easy to describe the location, please let me know.

Thanks

Don

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,041 Posts
:stirpot: Running 93 octane has no bearing on the glop in the manifold/TB. That's all condensed crap from the PCV (crankcase ventilation) system which sucks blow-by and condensation from the internal block/pan areas and mixes it with incoming air to be burned AFTER it is supposedly ingested by your pristine cylinders. In extreme cases, the whole kit and kaboodle, from TB to intake valve, will have to be cleaned. Not fun.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
The mess inside the manifold is harmless and will just return even if you where to clean it out.

Go to the bottom of this page to where you see the forum jump bar. Click on the drop down box and scroll down til you see Tech Tips and click on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts