Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this was directly answered in another thread of mine that this had came up in, so I will ask in new thread.

When I first got my '91, the ELC was working. When I would stop, I could hear the pump running and the back of the car would raise. The car set for weeks in the driveway until I could find someone to fix the miss (which has been taken care of). For some reason, the ELC had stopped working, I never heard it run again after I parked I the day I bought it.

According to the Cadillac FSM, it does not give much detail about the ELC motor not working. It mentions that for major air leaks it will run for 7 minutes and shut off. I am wondering if after that 7 minutes, does it go into a fail-safe mode or something? I did park the car with the rear end downhill and a shift in weight putting a lot of weight on the right rear of the car. I am wondering if at some point the pump was running too much (obviously there is a leak) and caused the pump to either burn up or pop a relay or something? I checked the fuse in the fuse box and it is isn't blown. I have checked connections at the ELC, they seem tight. What should I check next?

I know I need new rear shocks (one is leaking oil), but I don't think the hydraulics has anything to do with the ELC? My car sags down in the back now a little even without a load (see pics below) and the suspension bottoms out often? It doesnt look that low however, but once driving and accelerating the rear sinks.

It isn't that bouncy though. I think if I could get the ELC working, that my shocks may be ok awhile longer.

Thanks!

I took these today...

Here it is setting at a local Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer parking lot on the level... (note the 92 deVille in the background at a used lot, lol).

... and I walked on over to see how that one was setting and it looks about the same...

and I took this one yesterday...

Thanks!

Miles are climbing now... I am up to 60,700 now. :)

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Honestly that rear ride height looks okay from the pics. Mine is pretty much the same unless I have the car loaded completely with people and other stuff. (My elc is disabled and I have all round KYB)

When you say bottoms out, what do you mean? Are you scraping on the road??

By the way the car looks great!! Wow

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
It should run a test of elc every ignition cycle, so after 15 to 30 seconds it should run for a few seconds. If it doesn't there is an issue. If it does run and there is a leak computer only allows to run 6 or 7 minutes total between ignition cycles.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should run a test of elc every ignition cycle, so after 15 to 30 seconds it should run for a few seconds. If it doesn't there is an issue. If it does run and there is a leak computer only allows to run 6 or 7 minutes total between ignition cycles.
Yeah that motor never runs anymore. It did the day I test drove it and the day I bought it and drove it home. Then the next time I drove it to the mechanic, I never heard it running again and it hasn't since. Fuse is good. Strange it went out so suddenly.

Honestly that rear ride height looks okay from the pics. Mine is pretty much the same unless I have the car loaded completely with people and other stuff. (My elc is disabled and I have all round KYB)

When you say bottoms out, what do you mean? Are you scraping on the road??

By the way the car looks great!! Wow
Yeah, there are times it looks ok setting there, but when driving the rear squats down. If I hit a bug bump, I can feel the rear shocks compress completely, then there is a jolt. Also like where I leave out of my driveway, it tapers off about 3 inches and it will bottom out (shocks completely compress) when the rear tires go down off of that. I just know that I do not hear the compressor under the hood running any longer.

I know it needs new shocks since one is leaking oil, but if I could get ELC working again I think they would be ok for awhile. It has a smooth ride as long as the rear end isn't bottoming out.

Thanks for the compliment. It looks good in the pics, but in person and up close, the paint has horrible cracks in it... they are fine black lines and it has hail dents all over the hood, top and trunk lid. :(

The interior is still nice despite setting outside since 1991 and the passenger side doesn't look as nice with missing name badges and missing wheel center caps...

Driver door panel showing some blemishes. I have found the trim missing on the handle down by the seat...

Dang headliner started falling a couple of weeks ago...

Engine needs detailed...

Dash is still soft with no cracks. It appeared that it had not been cleaned in years, so I dusted it, then put some Meguiars high gloss protectant on it ( http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g4016-supreme-shinereg-protectant/ ) and it seems to have hardened the top part of the dash a little bit... maybe it didn't and I just think it did, lol.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
I have to put a new name decal on the rear of my car too. I see both our hoods rise a little on the driver side above the headlight =)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to put a new name decal on the rear of my car too. I see both our hoods rise a little on the driver side above the headlight =)
Yeah, mine was gone when I got the car. Yes, the hood is loose, it seems like the latch needs tightening/adjusted.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is sagging worse, rear struts compress to max when I hit a bump or a hump in a slow turn. What should be the first thing to check trying to get ELC motor running again? Thanks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car is sagging worse, rear struts compress to max when I hit a bump or a hump in a slow turn. What should be the first thing to check trying to get ELC motor running again? Thanks.
Well as soon as the weather breaks, I think I am going to clean the car up and put it up for sale. I cannot figure out the ELC issue (pump suddenly stopped working) and my mechanic is clueless when it comes to it, so I think I am going to find the car a new owner. IF I keep it, I guess all I can do is just install new rear struts. The excessive squat on acceleration and the "bottoming out" of the rear suspension is driving me insane.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
If you have the FSM there is a test in there, says to pull a colored wire off the terminal and apply power, something like that. It looks more complicated than it is, relays to turn it on, another relay to the purge solenoid, its actually pretty simple

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
33 Posts
you may want to check to see if there is a relay any where mine had 2 fuses and 1 relay and the fuses where good but the relay wasn't and if that doesn't work i found a set of Monroe shocks for the back the pair was about 150 and that cut out the elc completely but still give it that Cadillac ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts