Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new CVRSS shocks. Whats the methodology for testing the ELC or lines for leaks? And if it does need replacing what is the part#?

At this point im not sure if i want to install them yet until i can get new struts for the front. Should i just go ahead and replace the ELC given that it's possibly the original. 153k on the power train, if that helps

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Get the compressor to run and pressurize the lines and shock bladders. Then spray with soapy water. A leak will foam.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get the compressor to run and pressurize the lines and shock bladders. Then spray with soapy water. A leak will foam.
I dont see a diagram in my alldata for which lines i should spray or wven the ELC itself although i know where to look for it, just not sure where exactly i should spray to test

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question, the ELC doesn't run lines to the front struts also, just the rear. Right?

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Yep only the rear shocks its pretty simple to inspect those lines..... Also if they were still good in my 1984 sedan deville when I sold it I would bet yours are fine

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Vincent, look at the compressor, there is the intake line (the only line made of rubber). In the picture from Post #4 the intake line is shown pointing up in between no 8 and 9. Near the compressor this line "T" in 2. I bet you is already dried and broken at least in one place. Make sure you replace it with appropriate vacuum hose (you need 2 feet). That is why the compressor or the exhaust valve goes.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vincent, look at the compressor, there is the intake line (the only line made of rubber). In the picture from Post #4 the intake line is shown pointing up in between no 8 and 9. Near the compressor this line "T" in 2. I bet you is already dried and broken at least in one place. Make sure you replace it with appropriate vacuum hose (you need 2 feet). That is why the compressor or the exhaust valve goes.
Thats a tremendous help, thanks N*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts