Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problesm, i just installed air struts in the rear of my cadi 1992 de ville, just as the old ones, but my ELC goes on only 5 seconds after i start the engine , the front are regular strits because i coluld not get them or they dont make them any more. Wjhat should i do just for my cadi to operate on the rear ones?, knowing the new struts dont have that sensor any more, they just have the intake pivot,how do i bypass that?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,319 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The thread you're replying to has been dead for 9 years and some of the users are no longer active. Suggest you make a new thread in the Deville FWD page.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
ELC (it's NOT "air ride") does a proveout and preload about 6 seconds after Key: ON. It operates on the rear shocks only - there is no air to the front struts. The system compensates for weight changes in the trunk or rear seat.

Your car uses standard struts, shocks, and coil springs for suspension. ELC is a different system.

This is an old, dead thread. You probably won't get an answer from the original posters (OP). You need to learn how your suspension system works. Please look at the other post dates when you reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Cady 1992 de ville Touring sedan. I changed my rear struts, but they have nombre sensor ins, they come flat and there is no way to plug the sensors. My compressor only works 5 secs after engine on or just switched on and the compressor shuts off, i have no clue on how to bypass all this mess and make my new struts bladder inflate, so far they are deflated and i worry.

I see you’ve been going on the same subject a while ago, i wonder if someone can help me . Fuses 12 and 7 are fien but whats next? what should I do not to scream?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Please note that your identical problem has been merged into this new thread. Use this new thread for work, not the old hijacked one. Thanks.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
433 Posts
1- Did you yourself do the work?
2- Are the airlines from the compressor air tight/connected to the shocks?
3- What brand of 'air shock' are you using?
4- Do you believe the air compressor is working properly? visually inspected it ?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,098 Posts
so - if I understand you correctly -
you installed new - rear - air-assisted struts -
the compressor only runs for 5 seconds upon engine start-up -
and the rear struts do NOT inflate -

my first thought is that the ride-height sensor has failed -
OR - the ride-height sensor connecting rod is not connected -

as SUB said -
the compressor goes through a "self test" when you turn the ignition key to the ON position -
the compressor runs for a few seconds - then the exhaust valve solenoid is briefly activated -

after this initial "self test" -
the compressor should run as required to maintain proper ride height -

you have a couple choices -
spend the amount of time required to diagnose - and FIX - the problem with the AUTOMATIC system -
OR -
simply install the MONROE AK29 - manual-fill air line kit - around $15 -
this will allow you to manually inflate and deflate the air bladders as required -
just like inflating/deflating a tire -

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks , I’m in Mexico so my options are just a few . My Cadillac De Ville was stored for many years so it’s just 25 thousand miles and has all original parts but the struts . I noticed that there is a plug on the top of the old struts but the new Autozone duralast struts seemed to be identical and I bought them because they looked the same in shape and had the bladder so i had to go for them but regretting now when I saw the ac delco ones but not on MEXICO , I have to import them and that’ll go for 500 each at the end .
I heard my compresor working a few days ago before replacing the struts , I even had to unplug the compresor because nothing was plugged , my old struts bladders went dry and cracked so I had to remove the air pipe plug form them . Now with the new ones I on the rear I only hear the comp for 5 seconds and that’s it but the bladders are flat , the strut shop installed them but they’re not familiar with my 1992 caddy . Is there a way to test the comp? Or do I have to inflate the bladders with another compresor before plugging the caddy’s compresor ? I’m lost .

·
20,098 Posts
not sure what struts you bought - but - according to the autozone web site -
they list a few brands - Gabriel - KYB - sachs - but no "Duralast" - house brand -

regardless - the electrical plug on the top of the original struts indicate that your car was equipped with CCR (Computer Command Ride) - a VERY basic electronic system that adjust the stiffness/softness of the front and rear struts for a softer or firmer ride -
this is completely different than - and unrelated to - the ELC system -

the electronic CCR struts were discontinued many MANY years ago - and simply not available -

IF you are getting a CHECK SUSPENSION SYSTEM warning -
there is a procedure of tapping into the suspension wiring harness and adding a relay to trick the computer -

IF you are NOT getting any suspension warnings -
don't worry about it -

Is there a way to test the comp?
YES - follow this procedure to test the entire ELC system -

locate the ride-height sensor -

disconnect ONE end of the connecting rod NOT connected to the ride-height sensor -

turn the ignition ON - no need to start the engine -

push UP on the connecting rod will simulate a LOW rear end
and should turn the compressor ON - thus inflating the bladders -

put the connecting rod in the "middle" position will simulate the CORRECT ride height -
and should turn the compressor OFF -

pull DOWN on the connecting rod will simulate a HIGH rear end -
and should activate the exhaust valve solenoid - thus deflating the air bladders -

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure what struts you bought - but - according to the autozone web site -
they list a few brands - Gabriel - KYB - sachs - but no "Duralast" - house brand -

regardless - the electrical plug on the top of the original struts indicate that your car was equipped with CCR (Computer Command Ride) - a VERY basic electronic system that adjust the stiffness/softness of the front and rear struts for a softer or firmer ride -
this is completely different than - and unrelated to - the ELC system -

the electronic CCR struts were discontinued many MANY years ago - and simply not available -

IF you are getting a CHECK SUSPENSION SYSTEM warning -
there is a procedure of tapping into the suspension wiring harness and adding a relay to trick the computer -

IF you are NOT getting any suspension warnings -
don't worry about it -

Is there a way to test the comp?
YES - follow this procedure to test the entire ELC system -

locate the ride-height sensor -

disconnect ONE end of the connecting rod NOT connected to the ride-height sensor -

turn the ignition ON - no need to start the engine -

push UP on the connecting rod will simulate a LOW rear end
and should turn the compressor ON - thus inflating the bladders -

put the connecting rod in the "middle" position will simulate the CORRECT ride height -
and should turn the compressor OFF -

pull DOWN on the connecting rod will simulate a HIGH rear end -
and should activate the exhaust valve solenoid - thus deflating the air bladders -
The part number here in Mexico´s Autozone is G56903

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part number here in Mexico´s Autozone is G56903
il try that, right now, Ill just translate whats a Rod , the ride-height sensor - are the little three hole plug? the ones that fitted the original rear end struts?, those plugs are just laying on the top of the struts compartiment , they are just there, i didn´t want to cut them or get rid of them thinking ill eventually will get the original struts but thats a -never will happen- issue. Are these the rods you´re talking about? they are like a plug with a triangle shape dots,

·
2004 Deville base
433 Posts
OK, some of the shocks, I do not know every one/brand, had a 'Schrader valve' in the port on the shock itself. Maybe all for all I know, it has been years since I installed some.
They had to, to fill them without a line kit, which was optional on many. The line kit simply gave you a convenient place to fill, and a 'tee', to fill both evenly, with a Schrader valve port.

That said, those need to be removed if adding a 'remote fill/line kit' or connecting a compressor. Same valve on a valve stem for a tire, it has to be pushed in to fill.

Maybe there were plugs left in/folks unfamiliar ?

You said the compressor comes on, but very short. That tells me 'maybe' the line is obstructed or not airtight, and/or Basscatt is on the money with the sensors, and not enough run time. ANY leaks will 'air out' in seconds.

I would try this. Turn on the key/compressor several times, maybe 30seconds total.
It takes very little air to fill these, like a tiny-tiny bicycle tire.
Like 5 seconds/less at a service station/garage with 100psi lines.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes I think you´re right because even though the box says Autozone, the manual and papers said the word GABRIEL and i was confused, now Im sure they are gabriel
Sorry, the box says Duralast, but paper booklet reads gabriel

·
20,098 Posts
il try that, right now, Ill just translate whats a Rod , the ride-height sensor - are the little three hole plug? the ones that fitted the original rear end struts?, those plugs are just laying on the top of the struts compartiment , they are just there, i didn´t want to cut them or get rid of them thinking ill eventually will get the original struts but thats a -never will happen- issue. Are these the rods you´re talking about? they are like a plug with a triangle shape dots,
======================
THIS is a RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR -

it is bolted to the car - probably on the LEFT side - in front of the wheel -

================

the CONNECTING ROD is a short metal rod - less than 6" long -

it has a plastic socket on each end -

there is a "ball" that is screwed onto the arm of the RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR -

there is another "ball" screwed onto the lower control arm -

the plastic sockets of the CONNECTING ROD snap over the "balls" -
thus connecting the arm of the RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR to the lower control arm -

·
20,098 Posts
OK, some of the shocks, I do not know every one/brand, had a 'Schrader valve' in the port on the shock itself. Maybe all for all I know, it has been years since I installed some.
They had to, to fill them without a line kit, which was optional on many. The line kit simply gave you a convenient place to fill, and a 'tee', to fill both evenly, with a Schrader valve port.

That said, those need to be removed if adding a 'remote fill/line kit' or connecting a compressor. Same valve on a valve stem for a tire, it has to be pushed in to fill.

Maybe there were plugs left in/folks unfamiliar ?

You said the compressor comes on, but very short. That tells me 'maybe' the line is obstructed or not airtight, and/or Basscatt is on the money with the sensors, and not enough run time. ANY leaks will 'air out' in seconds.

I would try this. Turn on the key/compressor several times, maybe 30seconds total.
It takes very little air to fill these, like a tiny-tiny bicycle tire.
Like 5 seconds/less at a service station/garage with 100psi lines.
========================
NONE of this applies to a 1992 Deville -

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
======================
THIS is a RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR -
View attachment 570982

it is bolted to the car - probably on the LEFT side - in front of the wheel -

================

the CONNECTING ROD is a short metal rod - less than 6" long -

it has a plastic socket on each end -

there is a "ball" that is screwed onto the arm of the RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR -

there is another "ball" screwed onto the lower control arm -

the plastic sockets of the CONNECTING ROD snap over the "balls" -
thus connecting the arm of the RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR to the lower control arm -
awesome!! I would never have found it!! thanks for all of this help::)), I see finally, this makes my day a very nice one, muchas gracias caballeros!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awesome!! I would never have found it!! thanks for all of this help::)), I see finally, this makes my day a very nice one, muchas gracias caballeros!
by the way , here in Cancun its much more difficult to find answers for a Cadillac that old, but for me, its the best car i´ve ever had. Im in the search for a tiny part called turn signal light marker in shape of a triple "fin" that seats on the top of the front wheel body, its very uncommon but my model has it, and im missing one and nowhere in the world i can find it.

·
2004 Deville base
433 Posts
"Must exercise air bladder, cycle strut by hand prior to installation."

I noticed this on Gabriel and Delco, which look very similar. It may be the way they are made/shipped could cause a filling problem. Check your instructions.

They have some killer deals on this gen right now. $60 for all 4 corners?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts