Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to adjust the ELC so the rear sits a little higher ?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,980 Posts
Is there a way to adjust the ELC so the rear sits a little higher ?
===================
that depends on the year - make - model of the - assumed - car -

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04 deville base

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,298 Posts
Your 2004 base should sit level with no extra load in the rear seat or trunk.

The rear height sensor(s)(depending on model/year) have link rods to the lower suspension arm. A bit of work, making new link rods, will adjust the rear height about +/- 3/4".

Some years/models, depending on suspension type, will require a GM Dealership (tech-II) rear bump stop calibration.

Here's a rear height sensor on my 2002 STS but it is probably different from yours. Still - you get the idea........

Attachments

·
2004 Deville
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear height sensor(s)(depending on model/year) have link rods to the lower suspension arm. A bit of work, making new link rods, will adjust the rear height about +/- 3/4".

Here's a rear height sensor on my 2002 STS but it is probably different from yours. Still - you get the idea........
That looks pretty much the same as mine, can i pull that rod out of the boot a couple millimeters, would that do it ? When i changed the shocks last month that rod came loose, could i have squeezed it together too tight ?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,286 Posts
I had an '04 SLS that sat an inch or two high in the rear end. I loosened the sensor mounting bolts and was able to get about 1/8" movement out of it. I raised it that 1/8" and got the rear end to level out. In your case, I think you'd want to lower it (the sensor).

·
2004 Deville
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to taking the rear wheel off and looking at the sensor, was able to pull the rod out of the boot about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch, raised up the back end by about 2 inches. Car looks normal again.

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Finally got around to taking the rear wheel off and looking at the sensor, was able to pull the rod out of the boot about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch, raised up the back end by about 2 inches. Car looks normal again.
Is this true for the 94 deville's as well?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
70,298 Posts
Depends on which level sensors the car has. On some you can adjust the arm angle; on others you might be able to change rod length.

Post #2 and 4.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,980 Posts
Ok, how do i do that? Is it hard?
==================
depending on WHICH type of air line fittings your shocks have -
you would either use the MONROE AK18 or the MONROE AK29 manual-fill it -

simply replace the factory air lines with those from the manual fill kit -
mount the "T" fitting is a protected - yet readily accessible - location -

then manually inflate or deflate as necessary to raise or lower the rear end -

·
Registered
49 Posts
==================
depending on WHICH type of air line fittings your shocks have -
you would either use the MONROE AK18 or the MONROE AK29 manual-fill it -

simply replace the factory air lines with those from the manual fill kit -
mount the "T" fitting is a protected - yet readily accessible - location -

then manually inflate or deflate as necessary to raise or lower the rear end -
Thanks, I thought you raised and lowered the arm sensor but it was harder than I thought 😓

·
2004 Deville
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The link rod is a press fit into the rubber boots on either end, when I replaced the shocks I accidently knocked the rod out of the boot. When I put it back together I pushed the rod too far into the boot and the shocks didn't fill up all the way and the car sat too low in the back. I was able to pull the rod out of the boot a little to correct the ride height.

·
Administrator
70,298 Posts
See post #9 in order to maintain automatic level control. Use the manual fill/vent kit to perform manual level control.

Either way, there's a bit of work involved. TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts