Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, well I had to use V shocks to do the WildWhl mod, since the FE3 nivomats have the upper spacer, plastic shield and top pillow mount all integral. The FE4's from the V can be taken apart and the spacers removed. The Eibach rates for the CTS (68N/mm front, 69N/mm rear) are much closer to the V (70N/mm) than the stock CTS (around 55N/mm), so the V shocks are a great match. The ride is more firm, and definitely more sport and less luxury.

Here is a pic of the CTS (FE3) nivomat on the left, next to the V (FE4) nivomat with the lower spacer removed, and WildWhl's spacers installed on the top of the mount, lowering the upper mount by about 1". The rear Eibach springs are identical length as the stock ones, but progressively wound. I got 1.1" of overall drop from 28.3" to 27.2" from the ground to the fender, above the center of the wheel.

For the fronts, I put 6mm Delrin spacers (look close at the left strut in the second pic) that WildWhl made for me, to shim the front up, so I didn't get the full 1.2" drop. I was shooting for 0.75 to 1" and I got 0.9", from 28" to 27.1". The springs are linear rate, and about an 1.5" shorter free length.

The wheels are very nicely centered in the wheel wells with equal spacing front, top, and rear of the tire. The car sits very level now, and IMHO looks almost factory . . . . at least like it SHOULD have looked with the sport option. The 18s now fit the wheel wells nicely without looking slammed. Hard to believe it's lowered, but it looks 'right', finally.

I also included a pic of the rear with my new coffee can, Bat Mobile, 'afterburners' from Borla. They sound great but are VERY big. I'm probably going to paint the muffler portion flat VHT black to hide them a little, and get a V rear bumper, which hangs about 1.5" lower at the bottom. I don't like people staring at my rear! LOL

Sorry I had to shrink the pics so far. They were taken with a 6 MPix Kodak camera, but the upload limits forced me to shrink them to nothing. I really need to find an on-line hosting service for all my pics.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
couple questions...are the 18's you got x7.5 or x8? also, what size tire did you wrap on them pups? 245/45? 255/45? 245/40? i'll be getting some 18x8's soon and i'm trying to figure out what rubber to use...

is the v rear bumper a direct fit?

btw, the pics are perfect size to see everything but not scroll 300 yrds right. unlike soooooome member's pictures....:stirpot:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Ody,

Beautiful ride! I love the blue onyx. Dark colors look impressive on the CTS IMO. The wheel well clearances look perfect. Tried any extreme road dips to see if there is any rubbing? Can I ask you what the drop cost you? My major concern would be the ride. When I went to the 45 series 18" wheels and it firmed up the ride a bit. Hate to give up more.

What's the emblem on the left side trunk? I see You got the Jeep all jacked up for the kid.:D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ride is very firm, (~25% stiffer springs and shocks) but absolutely NO rubbing. It actually only sits about 1/4" to 1/2" lower than a stock V, so the suspension geometry is just about perfect. I have a faint bushing squeek in parking lots that I'll have to do something about, if it doesn't go away soon.

I got the Eibachs from Lund on EBay when they were closing them out for around $120. A set of brand new takeoff FE4 shocks/struts from a forum member were $80 shipped. The WildWhl spacers are free (you need to become a supporting member or donate $$ to the forum to qualify). It took about 5 hours for the rears (I also ran my Nav harness for audible directions and voice commands while I had the trunk apart) and about 4 hours for the fronts. I took my time (mostly to avoid frustration) and lots of pics.

Triple, I have 18" Mille Miglia EVO5's with 40 mm offset, wrapped in 245/45R18 Bridgestones. They're the same size as V wheels/tires, but 2mm more offset. This way, I KNEW they would fit fine, and not screw up the ride. V bodywork are all a direct fit, although you also need to get 'extension panels' (inner fenderwells) to match the bumper you're putting on. They're pretty cheap though, unlike the bumper covers, which also need to be painted.

Yes, Robert, that's the Jeep my son and I built up this summer. 4" lift and 31" tires to keep it streetable. We installed a full set of new suspension arms to keep the steering and geometry smooth. We've also got a full set of tow hooks, skid plates, Dynomax cat back exhaust and new high flow cat, and a locking differential for the rear, that we need to get put on. He's very excited about getting his license soon, but I'm holding it over his head to make sure he does his homework, keeps his grades up, and does his chores! He has to walk by it every day as a reminder! Am I a cruel dad or what? LOL

I did a test fit of my 14" Brembo's while the wheels were off (those stock 11.9" rotors are looking tiny in those huge gaps from the 18's). They'll fit but there is VERY little clearance between the 4 piston calipers and my wheels (~1mm!). I need to get them cleaned up and on the car, but that's another project. V rear bumper, '06 CTS Sport grill and strut brace are on the list too. I'm also replacing my XM Commander with the new 'factory-like' XM direct adapter so I can tune it through my Nav, rather than an add-on display. Then I'll focus on my neglected boat (new sails, install the new instruments, put on the graphics, install the new running rigging, etc)! LOL

Believe it or not, I also work , run and engineering company (and travel 3 days a week) as a single parent to two teenagers. (well, the oldest is actually 20 and finally moved out two weeks ago for her third year at college). Who says life isn't busy!

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Could I use a set of FE3 sport/luxury shocks n struts with the V springs?? I want to upgrade my base suspension but I dont want the rougher ride of the V set up. Trying to keep it somewhat luxury...

And Ody the ride is looking nice. Do u have the V front fascia on??

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Thanks for he look, I too have an 04 Blue chip I'm working on a V exhaust (whats on yours?) Now I see I need the V clip and a subtle 18" sport wheel.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The V springs will mount onto the FE3 shocks just fine, for a stiffer ride, and I presume a sublty lower ride. I'm not sure how well matched they'd be as far as damping, but should work. The Eibach springs are actually SOFTER than the stock V springs, and not much lower. The issue will be in the rear, as it does not look easily possible to lower the stock CTS nivomats in the rear with the WildWhl mod. Eibach suggests changing to the CTS Sport shock for this reason. They also told me that their springs are made to work with the stock CTS shocks. The fronts can be shimmed, similar to what I did, but the lower mount is different. If one cut a 1" section out of the spacers, they would mount just fine, so they follow the coil shape of the CTS front lower mount.

I've had the V front bumper and skirts on for about 6 months. I put on the Borla dual exhaust within the last month.

Assembled V strut and Eibach spring on top, V strut in middle (with spacer), and stock CTS strut on bottom.

Eibach front spring on left, stock CTS FE3 on right.

FE4 nivomat on the top, with WildWhl lowering spacers on top pillow mount. Stock FE3 is on the bottom. The top pillow mount and plastic tube are integral, and have the spacers embedded inside. Lowering them would likely be a real hack job.

Rear progressive wound Eibach spring on the left, stock linear rate rear spring on the right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got some spacers from WildWhl and was wondering the sequence of installation for the rubber washers? There are some with larger holes in the middle. I was also wondering what the small plastic spacers were for (with large diameter hole on the inside).

Thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They will only work with the V shocks (FE4 or FG2), since the stock CTS rear shock has the plastic tube, the spacer and the top pillow mount all molded in one piece.

For the V shocks, after disassembling the top pillow mount, you insert the small washers in the underside (the bottom) of the top pillow mount. I'd put one larger rubber washer on the top of the shock, just under (before you mount) the top pillow mount, and the rest go on top. This will keep the shock from rattling over bumps when rebounding, I find. Above the top pillow mount, I'd put the rubber ones with the larger holes on first, then the delrin. I found that I could have used a few more delrin spacers to keep the movement to a minimum and still stack to the top of the unthreaded part of the shock rod. I had some with smaller center holes left over that I'm going to cut larger, and put them on the stack.

So after the small plastic ones inside to fill the underside of the top pillow mount they SHOULD go in this order: rubber, top pillow mount, rubber, then the rest delrin(if you have enough). Top it off with a rubber one with the small hole, then the factory washer, and the nut.

HaveBlue and I will be working very soon to find a better solution using a single urathane spacer on the top, with the proper balance of stiffness and flexibility. I'd still recommend a small rubber washer below the pillow mount, or you'll have that 'loose shock' noise over bumps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts