Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damnit! Damn german bureaucracy!

The workshop did not put my Eibach setup on the car. Because they couldn't get it certified in the German system. For every mod like that, you have to get it certified. I have to dig deeper to get it all certified, before I can install it.

Oh man, in safety aspect it is ok to have a system like that. But it is a draaaaaaaag!

Also, the workshop didn't even call me during the week to inform me. I had to find it all out they didn't install it as I picked up the car.

Also, the just put my 20" rims back on. The vibration in my steering wheel was not caused by my rims as I had the same issue with the 17" I had on temporarily. The only thing they told me, was that the BLS 2.8L turbo they just drove had the same issue. uhm... so?

So, that leaves me with a bunch of Mods that I cannot install for the moment...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I wonder if the stock springs are TUV certified?? I'm not aware that Intrax, H&R or Eibach are specifically TUV certified. Finding springs to pass German government scrutiny on an American car may be difficult.

·
Registered
260 Posts
70Eldo,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a friend who is German living in Pforzheim and every time he comes to visit me in California he has a new complaint and story about the German restrictions that are everywhere in Germany. The most extreme example I have ever heard of is the story he told me of special Government vans that patrol the neighborhoods electronically listening for "nonregistered" radios and televisions in households where the TV's or radios were brought in secretly to get around the tax. That idea would never happen in America as not only do we all love out TV's, having one or more is an implied civil right. Seems the only way to get around some of the restrictions in Germany, I was told, is to either make a friend in the regulators office, or offer up a few extra Euro's under the table!

Either way, I hope you get your Eibach's cleared!

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, part of the German broadcast are subsidized by the government. Before there was commercial television and radio, you had to pay broadcast tax for your tv and radio. But nowadays the broadcasts are well covered by commerce, advertisement and sponsoring, so the tax should be abandoned. That's why a lot of people refuse to pay that tax and just state that they don't have a tv or radio. The government does check for radios and tv's by those vans mentioned. For now they left me alone.

I did some digging: I can get the setup certified by the TÜV itself. So I have to make an appointment and have them check it to get it passed. Should be ok, but of course you have to pay... ah well. An American car in Germany....

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
After you've been in Europe for a while you start to realize why thinking people left there 300 years ago and started a real country over here. Americans bitch all the time about how their freedoms are being infringed and the government is messing with them but it's miles ahead of next best. On the other hand, I was impressed by the aircraft boarding procedure in Munich. Everybody and the baggage is out on the ramp while being observed by police with machine guns . The passengers, one by one, identify their bag and it is loaded on the plane. If there are any bags left over everybody runs like hell while the bomb squad is called.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2004
11 Posts
Hi 70 Eldo,

Would a copy of the "Fahrzeugschein" with a Eibach kit helpful for you?

Greetings Thomas

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Thomas!

FINALLY a CTS buddy in Germany on the Forum!
That would be greatly appreciated! As you are under 50 posts yet, I cannot send you a PM, so please post your email address so I can send you my address.
I though I must be the only one in Europe modding my CTS. You could be the first link to a Euro meeting :D Good to know there is more people modding the CTS in Europe!

Which shocks did you use?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2004
11 Posts
Hi 70 Eldo,

My E-mail is: [email protected].

I still use the standard shocks on my CTS. My other mods are:
8,5 x 19 inch Wheels
K&N CAI
V-Series Grill
Geiger Performance Exhaust

If there ever will be an european meeting I am there.
Thomas

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool!

I got the 20" Irmscher 245 rims with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires,
custom exhaust by EPS (Holland) with RC Racing mufflers and custom exhaust tips,
V-series grille (I hope you have a grille and not a grill ;) )
the Volant CAI is on its way.

I have the Eibach springs and anti-roll bar kit to install with the FE4's (shocks from the V). How did you manage to lower the car with the original shocks? The novimats would pump the rear back up. Or don't you have novimats rear shocks?

Also, sport side skirts and spoiler are on their way and I'll do tinting soon.

I sent you my contact info by email.
Thanks Thomas!

Martyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts