Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many if the EGR threads on this forum that inform you on cleaning the egr valve. My car (99 sts) was diagnosed with a bad egr, cadillac wants $300 for it. I read that in most cases all they need is a good cleaning. What is a good cleaning. I cleand mine with q tips and some carb cleaner. Really didnt notice too much "dirty stuff" come out of it only small, very small pieces. My question is how exactly do you clean to get to perform like it used to. After doing this to my car it ran the same.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
mgr3614 said:
How do you test it? The small valve does go in and comes back out.
Does it do that when commanded to do so by the PCM, or does it just freely move in and out? It's possible the actuator is just bad but the rest of the valve is fine. If it doesn't respond appropriately when commanded to open or shut, the PCM sets a code. If you take it for a drive and then look at the codes, does it show as Current or History? If it's current and the EGR is in place and plugged in and the wiring is intact, the valve probably just needs to be replaced. If you are so inclined, you could try feeding it power artificially, but you'd have to find the pinouts for the connector. I don't have them available to me here at work. New EGR for your 99 STS is about $150 at www.rockauto.com.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure if it does open when the pcm tells it to. i am sure though that the valve is not stuck. when ever egr valves need a cleaning is it beacause its stuck?

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
mgr3614 said:
Im not sure if it does open when the pcm tells it to. i am sure though that the valve is not stuck. when ever egr valves need a cleaning is it beacause its stuck?
They need cleaning when there is so much carbon and soot crusted up on the pintle that it can't freely move as commanded or it gets stuck in some position. When that happens, the actuator will "tell" the PCM that it's not able to move the valve appropriately and the PCM sets the code to tell you. If the pintle moves freely, chances are the actuator is bad and the valve needs to be replaced.

Someone else with a service manual may be able to respond with the troubleshooting tree for the code you're getting. Go to the link below and see how to check the codes. Let us know the codes and someone can look it up in a FSM. If I was you, I'd plan on spending the $150 for a new EGR. You can install it yourself with a few basic tools. It's not usually very difficult. If you have the stainless steel fuel rail, you just have to lift the injectors up enough to where you can maneuver the thing out from under the metal tab from the rail. It would save you $150 from the dealer's price at least...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts